Pumpkin-Spice Cream Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
Ok ok so I've got it in my head to make this amazement.

Oatmeal for the creaminess (Oatmeal milk idea from here). I'm thinking to put it in a grain bag in the boil while I boil the pumpkin and spices. Would that work?

Nutmeg, Ginger, Cinnamon, allspice, cloves in the same proportions as in a scratch made pumpkin pie. Put in a tea-ball and boiled along with. My only concern is that some spices may leech out faster than others and mess up the flavor profile. Thoughts?

Just using regular ole' apple juice. I can't for the life of me find cider in this town that isn't loaded down with sorbate. I made a crisp ginger cider with that and it turned out marvalous. If this works I'll swap out for cider next year for sure if I can find some preservative free. I don't know if this means it's wine and not cider... but I'm calling it cider haha. :)

Feedback? Am I just a nutcase? :) Well I mean I am, but you know what I mean.

Ive experimented like this in the past and what i concocted came out heavy tasting if you what i mean. Some of my friends liked it (or so they said) but for me it was not a refreshing drink, it was more like a meal. The route your going sounds exactly what i wanted out of a cider. I wanted an oatmeal apple pie cookie cider. Maybe go easy on the ingredients and it my turn out great.

Ive experimented like this in the past and what i concocted came out heavy tasting if you what i mean. Some of my friends liked it (or so they said) but for me it was not a refreshing drink, it was more like a meal. The route your going sounds exactly what i wanted out of a cider. I wanted an oatmeal apple pie cookie cider. Maybe go easy on the ingredients and it my turn out great.

That was my thought. That too much oatmeal and the final product will thicken up too much. I'll go easy on the oatmeal.

haha just realized I have no real basis for comparison... about how many cups (or pounds) per gallon of cider did you use and find was too much?

Okay i used 2 lbs of oats and did it as a partial mash. I added 2.5 lbs brown sugar, 2 lbs of light DME and pumpkin spice ( 1 tbsp) and apple pie spice (1 tbsp). I also added 7 cans of apple juice concentrate i believe i made 2.5 gallons when i did this. Like i said it came out heavy, not a refreshing drink. I guess if your hardcore you might like something like this. Kinda like a "Guinness" of ciders.

image-1651326979.jpg

Okay i used 2 lbs of oats and did it as a partial mash. I added 2.5 lbs brown sugar, 2 lbs of light DME and pumpkin spice ( 1 tbsp) and apple pie spice (1 tbsp). I also added 7 cans of apple juice concentrate i believe i made 2.5 gallons when i did this. Like i said it came out heavy, not a refreshing drink. I guess if your hardcore you might like something like this. Kinda like a "Guinness" of ciders.

Ok I did 1.5lbs oats to 5 gallons cider. So hopefully not quite Guinness-y. :)

Back