pumpkin recipe help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy7649

Reaction score
I need the experts again. Do you all think this will work and taste good?

5gal / 2.5 gal boil
7 lbs light lme
.5 lbs crystal 40
.5 lbs special roast
.25 lbs Vienna malt
60 oz canned pumpkin 60 min boil
1 oz cascade 60 min
.5 oz cascade 30 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice flame out
wyeast 1056.

Not to sure if it's all works together. What do you all think. Thanks.

What do you think 1tsp of vanilla? I use that grain steeped in my pale ale. Do you think the hops is to much?

Do you think the hops is to much?

In my opinion, and very limited experience here with pumpkin as I did only one, I would say yeah it seems a bit much. I did an aroma hop addition and now think just a single bittering addition is what I should've done. You don't want the hops competing with the spice notes.

Rev.

So maybe just 1oz at 60 min then?

That's what I did (by accident), and think that was the right move. I kept my spices fairly tame as I wanted the spices and pumpkin flavor to be subtle and balanced, and now they don't have to fight any hop flavor or aroma. It's carbonating now, but the samples I tried were very good.

MedicineMan said:
I used Santium hops in my pumpkin, they are a spicy hop and it complemented the spices I added very nicely.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. What was your hop schedule? If you don't mind sharing.

Thanks for this post! I've been reading posts all day trying to figure out the best way to use these jack-o-lanterns in a homebrew. :mug:

Unfortunately I made a miscalculation when I was at my LHBS yesterday....I just sorta "guessed" what I would need and so I ended up buying 1 lb black patent malt which is probably too dark....but all the rest of the ingredients I bought and had on hand seemed to fit in with the general theme of all the pumpkin threads and recipes I read today.

Your recipe in this post was the closest to my finished recipe, so I am posting my experiment here. I'm tentatively titling mine a "Pumpkin Pie Porter" due to the black patent malt (and also it is a big time scrabble word with the triple P!!!)

Miss J's Pumpkin Pie Porter Recipe:
3.3 lb can of munton's plain amber LME
3 lbs Briess Light DME
1 lb crystal malt
1 lb black patent malt
10 lb pumpking (yielding approx 4-5 lbs pumpkin "meat")
1 whirflock tablet
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 TB liquid vanilla extract
2 oz Cascade Hops (1 oz bittering, 1 oz aroma)
2.5 tsp pectic enzyme (at yeast pitching)
11.5 g Safale s-04 yeast

added half the pumpkin inside a mesh bag with 50 mins left
added whirflock tablet with 20 mins left
added aroma hops with 10 mins left
added spices and vanilla with 5 mins left
removed from heat and allowed spices to "steep" for ~20 mins

topped up to 5 gal with cold water in primary fermenter
took remaining "wedges" of half of unused pumpkin and added directly to primary.

My plan is tomorrow morning to add the pectic enzyme (to help with clearing) and the yeast.

I plan to strain and rack to secondary in about 10-14 days (this will be my first time using a secondary and I'm up to about 25 batches so far.....)

I'm excited for this one.....My house smells amazing!!!

Happy thanksgiving everyone...

Latest posts

Back