Pumpkin in the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcsoccer

Reaction score
I was wondering about the amount or pumpkin to put in the mash for an all-grain batch of pumpkin ale. I was thinking about using 6-8 lbs of canned pumpkin in a semi-pale ale type recipe and maybe adding some medium crystal to give it a darker color.

Here is what I'm thinking about:

Grain Bill:

12 lbs. Pale 2-row
2 lbs. Crystal 40
2 lbs. Victory
1 lb. Flaked Oats
1 lb. Honey or Maple Syrup
1 lb. Brown sugar
6 lbs. canned pumpkin
5 tsp. Pumpkin Spice
Hops Schedule:

1 oz. Mt. Hood (60 mins)
1 ½ oz. Centennial (add ½ oz at 10, 5, & 0 mins left)

Burton Ale Yeast (½ gallon starter)

Should I use rice hulls in the mash? Also, I was going to do a one-step infusion mash at around 155 F.

Thanks!

I've never once used rice hulls, and when I mashed the canned pumpkin last year I had no issues draining the mash tun through a SS braid.

I have seen a lot of people recommend toasting the pumpkin in the oven, fairly low heat, spread on a cookie sheet, until it gets a little carmelized. Then mash it.

If you look in the Recipe database, there's one VERY popular recipe with tons of hints.

welcome to the forum.

I'd add some rice hulls, my worst mash was a pumpkin ale with both wheat and pureed pumpkin in the mash. If nothing else it is cheap insurance.

Your recipe looks good, although I would skip the late boil hop additions to let the spices shine through. I'd also ease back on the spices, you can always add more later if it needs it. If you want to taste the spices I'd add them after primary fermentation is over either directly to the fermenter and/or as a spice tea to taste at bottling.

Hope that helps, good luck.

... and when I mashed the canned pumpkin last year I had no issues draining the mash tun through a SS braid...

Just recently brewed a pumpkin ale, same thing... no hulls but i did drain slow just in case and had no issues. :mug:

6# of canned pumpkin seems like a lot... I'm brewing one Sunday and planning on using 4# canned, cooked in the over at 350 for 30 minutes.

There are so many opinions on spice additions out there it'll drive you mad.

I add my spices to the last 5 of boil and adjust them each year to try and find that sweet spot.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out!

Back