Pumpkin in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Has anyone tried racking onto some pumpkin and if so how did it turn out?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have only mashed with it.

However I would assume (not based on experience) that it would cause some haze and really pumpkin has no intrinsic flavor.
I don't think it would do much good, IMO.

Do they make pumpkin extract?

Maybe try and add some while racking to the secondary

I think it'll be more of a pain than it's worth. Pumpkin doesn't really give the flavor a pumpkin beer is associated with. It tastes more like squash. If you are going for the typical pumpkin flavor, use the spice instead.

last year I took a can of pure pumpkin puree and cooked it on the stove top for a while to try to caramelize some of the sugars in it, let it cool and then added it to the end of my primary fermentation. I cold crashed it before I racked it to secondary to try to reduce the haze of the beer but it still turned out very very turbid. although I do believe I could taste some of the pumpkin flavor in it if I were to do it again I would caramelize the pumpkin and then add it to the mash instead of during fermentation

Back