Pumpkin: how much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRdaSconnie

Reaction score
Last year I brewed an pumpkin wheat based on Northern Brewer's American Wheat extract kit and loved it. This year, I'm well into all grain and designing my own recipes so of course I want to make my own pumpkin ale. I'm shooting for a more rich, sweet, full bodied beer this year and I'm debating on how much pumpkin to add. Over the weekend I sampled some "Dave's Harvest Brew" from Lake Superior Brewing Co. in Grand Marais, MI and LOVED IT. It was very light in color and beer flavor, but literally tasted like pumpkin pie filling. Not so much spice, but pure pumpkin flavor. No one could answer detailed questions about it in house.

So, question is: anyone make a pumpkin beer that is very heavy on pumpkin flavor, and if so, how much pumpkin meat did you use? I bought four small pie pumpkins today and was thinking about 10lbs+ for a 5gal batch. I plan to mash it in, boil some, and even sanitize and drop into primary a week into ferment (I love pumpkin flavor). Input? Thanks!

Ahh...pumpkin beers. I am curious along similar but different lines. I desire a rich, sweet, flavor packed beer...pumpkin/allspice and the like. However, I broke my right arm 5 weeks ago and haven't been able to brew anything because of my limited physical capabilities. I'm about two weeks away from brewing. Here's where I would like opinions.

I have everything on hand for a couple 5 gallon all grain clones of Two Hearted and Sweetwater IPA. Could either of these be perverted into a pumpkin ale with that rich, sweet flavor I crave? How would you do it?

I could just purchase new stuff and start from scratch...but I'd really rather clean out my supplies that are now over 6 weeks old. If I can't find a way to make a pumpkin from these...then I'll just forgo the pumpkin for this season and be content with a couple of really good ales.

Sage thoughts and advice welcomed.

Back