Pumpkin Beer in February??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraulein

Reaction score
Hi all, so I recently made my first online order of some mini-mash LME kits from Austin Homebrew Supply. After drooling significantly over the Pumpkin Ale recipe, I ordered it along with 2 other kits (to save on shipping, which is really expensive to Canada). To my surprise, everything arrive only 5 days after ordering! (thanks AHS!!) But now I'm not too sure what to do with the pumpkin ale. I've already brewed the other 2 kits, and am sitting on the pumpkin ale kit. So I see it going down 1 of three ways:

1) Brew it now, and drink pumpkin ale for march and april and learn the hard way of ordering beer way out of season

2) Brew it now and let it bottle condition until the fall (6 months) Perhaps with an extra spice pack addition?

3) Store the LME and wyeast in the fridge, and the hops and grains in the freezer for 6 months, then brew, and bottle condition for 2-3 weeks.

Which route do you all suggest for maintaining quality of beer. I wouls honestly prefer to brew now and forget the bottles for 6 months, but I don't want the beer to be way past its prime come drinking time in the fall.

Thanks alot!!!

Brew it now and drink it now, while the ingredients are fresh. Nothing wrong with brewing out of season.

Definitely brew it now. I purchased a few all-grain recipes recently just to save on shipping, and one of them is a Pumpkin Ale. My woman thought that the extract one we made this fall was way to weak, so I want to adjust it now from the last one that way we are good to go next fall. We're brewing it next weekend, so be glad that you can have your favorite style anytime you want! :ban:

brew it now, drink half when it's ready and cellar the other half so you have it come October. (or if it's really good drink it all and remember to brew more in August.)

Sounds like this could be a good experiment. Drink some now, allow some to condition until summer, then break open the remaining in the fall.

Back