pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12pack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i never even thought about pumpkin brew until last year around halloween when i tried one...
good stuff.. bought and consumed several more..
fast forward to today.......

left work and went to LHBS, perused several used recipe books until i understood the basic concept, then re-read until i had a list.
i bought my grains, hops, and yeast.. then headed off to the LKSS...
(that is: local king soopers store)
and got the spices and a couple cans (cuz i really didn't want to try f'ing with a pumpkin, as i am not really sure what is what in there...) of libbys
yes, i got the 100% blahblahblah, cuz i didn't want no blah, unless i put it there...
i got home, and went straight away to making the hot water which would house the grainy tea for the base of this newly thought (yeah, i know... punkin beer has been around for a couple minutes, whatever) concoction...
steeping went like a silk scarf around a supermodel
the boil started faster than a homebrew down my throat...
and by the time i finished my camel, the chiller chilled the wort to pitchable temperatures...

i was about to open the smack-pack, when it dawned on me like a winter sun at deadhorse alaska...
i stared at the cooled wort for almost a month, then decided that (after a refill of Some English Bitter) i might try to put that pumpkin into that wort...
i hung my head low for about the time it takes peyton manning to toss a TD when he really wants to.. then put the wort (sans hop bag) back on the burner.
i filled a 1 gallon cooking pot with water, lidded it, and high heat..
when it boiled, i added the "only pumpkin, nothing else" to the boiling water, and made soup..

stirred like the teacup ride at the state fair, made the punkin water orange with rage
then added to the now almost roiling NOT punkin beer wort...

that brings us to NOW....
0016, 14 September, 2013
and i am about to go do what i was about to did, before.......

Back