Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyK

Reaction score
Seeking those of you who have brewed delicious pumpkin ale. I'm getting ready to brew one this weekend. My primary question is that many of the recipes I am finding are stating to use canned 100% pumpking or whole fresh pumpkin and NOT canned "pumpkin pie." But there are no explainations given for why canned pumpkin pie (which is just canned pumpkin with the spices already mixed in) is not acceptable. Obviously you would need to take into account that it has already been spiced when making spice additions, but is there another reason for this disclaimer?

If anyone has a kick butt recipe for pumpkin ale that they are willing to post up, I'd love to take a look at it.

Brewing mine as I type.
It's the ahs pumking ale. Heard its good. I used 3 cans of libbys 100% pinpoint. 90 oz total and baked for 1 hr with brown sugar on top. Put into mash and I'm boiling now. Almost done. Came with spice packet and I took out almost all the Orange perks that were in it.( heard ppl don't like the taste). Also added 1tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla .. pre boil tasted good. I'll let u know when I cool it.

It's probably only one of those stupid brewer's rules that have no basis in fact but has just bcome standard practice and noone bother's to look into why.

The only reason I can think of for not using pie filling is that it already contains spices, and we mght prefer to spice it ourselves the way we want....

Yep, Revvy is probably right. Just like I buy unsalted butter etc. I want things MY way.

Doesnt it have sugar in it? i used a prespiced can and noticed that it had a good load of sugar,take that into consideration also. I used that one late in the boil and i though the spices were a little too much, i usually just use a plain can of pupmkin and my own amout of spice now, i usually dont like adding sugar to my beers very often.Because of the sugar and the small batch size i had it had a strange taste for a while that mellowed out after months.

After cooling. Down the wort I took a sample and it had a Awsome pumpking taste. I hope it stays like that when its done..

Back