Pump wort directly from kettle to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapster100

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I want to use this little pump to pump my wort directly from my kettle to fermenter, via a plate chiller.

This pump will sit on the hot side of the chiller before it passes through. My questions are:

1. Will this pump airate the wort (hot side airation) to much before it goes through the chiller
2. Will the pump be able to handle wort, where i think it is supposed to be just for water.

It says the pump is food grade quality.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bee...6.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.261.0VNwrD

HTB1HHkIjLNNTKJjSspeq6ySwpXaW.jpg

Should be fine. There are many threads on this forum with people using these little tan pumps. @augiedoggy .

It'll only aerate if there is air in the lines. There will only be air in the lines if you didn't clear it or you have a leak at one of your connections.

Be careful with hoppy beers, but other that that, it is fine. I have one and it is adequate for small tasks. I rarely use it now that I have a chugger pump, but for the price, there's a good value there. Manage your expectations and you will be fine. I would try to keep your kettle as high as possible and get what gravity assist you can along the way, and avoid any 90° bends. Also, note that normal vinyl tubing is only good to about 175° Fahrenheit, so you'll need silicone tubing for at least some of the connections.

I use this pump for this purpose... 5 years now, no issues. I believe the lower 3gpm flow of the 24v ones are better.. especially when it comes to mash recirculation or chilling speed.

I used this same pump to recirculate boiling wort for 5 minutes for sanitization purposes, then 30 minutes more for 180F whirlpool then through a counterflow chiller to fermenter. It works like a champ.

Hot side no. It is rated 130 degrees
Any proof of your claim? As far as I know, these pumps are made of Nylon PA66 which is rated to 180C for short periods of time. I have 4 of them working for 2 years on the hot side with no issues

Last edited:
Yes it is rated 130 C
They are actually made of food grade PPS which is actually one of the most stable forms of plastic at high temps.(also why they are so hard and brittle). These are used in capachino machines and such and are designed for hot liquids and food grade use unlike any other plastic pump I could find and have seen in use here which are designed for solar water heating or pond or utility use.

I own like 8 of these including a bunch of the 12v version which are not as fast or strong as the 24v version

btw you can get them much chaeper and faster on ebay. the pump is $18 shipped and that power supply is $7 shipped... I bought the ones that sell for more on aliexpress and claimed to be more watts... same exact pump as the $18 pump. some seller just advertise different specs

I did I mention I STRONGLY suggest the 24v version.. ;)

any pump will get damaged when pumping actual boiling liquids for long periods of time from cavitation.. I did seize one once when I accidentally did this during a CIP cycle and forgot about it.
I use mine during the last couple mins of the boil and the boil pretty much stops when I turn it on to sanitize my plate chiller..
I use 3 of these pumps permanently installed inline in my brew rig plumbing.

Last edited:
Hey Guys

Thanks for all your replys. my wife will be in New york at the beginning of may so might just get one on ebay.

Much appreciated all.

Back