Pump usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramjet

Reaction score
Anyone use a brew pump? If so what do you use it for other than a counter flow wort chiller. I just won one in a raffle not sure if I really need it

fwiw, I brew on a single tier three vessel HERMS system and fly sparge, so I actually use two mag pumps.
Not an uncommon configuration and usage model...

Cheers!

I use my pump(s) to transfer my strike water from my HLT to my MLT for mash in then for chilling and whirlpool I’m from my BK then for cleaning and rinsing my lines and CFC afterwards. So lots of uses.

BIAB recirculation, whirlpooling, chilling (even keeping the wort moving over an immersion chiller speeds things up a lot too), and transferring to fermenter (could be done with gravity, but if you have the pump, might as well use it and save a little time).

Anyone use a brew pump? If so what do you use it for other than a counter flow wort chiller. I just won one in a raffle not sure if I really need it
Congratulations on winning a pump! I usually win something useless for my brewery, like bottle labels.

I use two pumps on my system. From the mashtun I pump the wort to the brew kettle. After the boil I pump through a plate chiller to the fermenter.

There's lots of uses for a pump besides the brewing part. You could build a keg cleaner or use it to clean beer hoses. By adding a valve to the outlet, which you should do anyway you can control the output flow. I have ball valves on the two pumps I use.

Nah. Complete waste of time. Totally useless. It'll just take up space in your basement.

Tell you what, since I'm by nature a very helpful kinda guy, I'll PM you my address and you can just send it to me. :ban:

As I started to approach 60 a few years ago I decided to work smarter not harder.
Now that I brew in my basement I don't have the ability to gravity transfer so I use my pump to transfer between my boil kettle and mash tun as well as transfering from boil kettle to fermentor.
Since I started fly sparging I added a second pump.
No more lifting!

It might not matter so much if you're reasonably fit, but as a disabled guy I look at it as a choice between: "Move vessels full of wort" vs. "Move the wort." :mug:

For us older folks, being disabled or just being safe, it's a whole lot smarter to transfer hot wort with a pump. Even dancing across the floor with a small amount of boiling wort is scary and not my idea of a good brew day. It might not be real practical for the folks brewing in the kitchen or for just starting out, but we all move on to pumps at some point.

Happy 2023 everyone - be safe, be happy and Happy brewing!!

Back