Pump questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sareinhart

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a wort pump to transfer from boil kettle through a counterflow wort chiller. I'm reading that you must prime the pump. I gather that that means you must have liquid all the way to the inlet of the pump - not air. Essentially, the pump can move liquid but not air. Is that correct?

Also, on the Northern Brewer website there are two types - March pumps and "Chugger" Is one better than the other?

Both March and Chugger are good pumps; Chugger tends to be a little less costly. I have a Chugger and love it. Priming isn't generally an issue though it does need to be primed to start moving liquid. You can add a "bleeder" vale to your setup which can help a lot when those moments do come up.

Both March and Chugger are good pumps; Chugger tends to be a little less costly. I have a Chugger and love it. Priming isn't generally an issue though it does need to be primed to start moving liquid. You can add a "bleeder" vale to your setup which can help a lot when those moments do come up.

Bleeder valve is a great idea. Thanks.

Love your avatar. Hop Head. That's me, too!

Back