Pump Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awiens

Reaction score
I am trying to determine my need for a pump with my set up. I currently brew 5 gallon batches and use a 10 g HLT, 10 g cooler mash tun, and a 15 g kettle to brew. I'm considering a pump for moving water from my HLT to my cooler. Right now, I have to pick up the 5+ gallons of 150 degree + mash water and dump it into my cooler, and I know it's only a matter of time before I dump this on myself in some capacity. My question is this: Are there effective alternatives to investing in a pump? I don't have the materials to use a gravity fed system to simply drain it down. Any suggestions regarding alternatives or additional info on pumps would be greatly appreciated! Happy brewing!

I have been following this thread for a while and there are some interesting options that are not that expensive.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-compact-wort-pump-375904/

I have a March that I will use for my primary means of moving wort but am looking at one of these to recirculate water in my HLT to keep it mixed up. In that use a $150 March is kind of overkill. If it died mid brew, it wouldn't be the end of the world as I could stir by hand.

You might consider checking craigslist for used little giant or iwaki aquarium pumps. The little giant SC models are relatively prevalent. I think I picked mine up for $30, but I . They are only rated up to 180°F IIRC, but it likely doesn't matter if you're only moving strike and sparge water with it. FWIW I've used my 3-MDQX-SC with boiling and near boiling wort many times without issue. They're also much quieter and quite a bit more powerful than the standard March 809 pumps.

Gravity or pump or you, it's your choice. Do you use a brew stand? How do you heat this HLT? Is it the same burner that you boil with?

Gravity or pump or you, it's your choice. Do you use a brew stand? How do you heat this HLT? Is it the same burner that you boil with?

I use the gravity option. I have a burner with legs for my HLT that places it above the MLT.

I fill the HLT from with a garden hose, heat to strike temperature, then just open a valve and drain it into the MLT.

I also have a dedicated BK burner, but you could do it all with just a single burner if thats all you got.

If you don't have a burner with legs, consider an improvised stand ie concrete blocks.

I use one burner. Do you know what types of shelving units are safe for supporting burner stands? I have an old metal AV cart I could use to put my HLT up in the air, but I don't know if it would melt it!

Back