Pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
Hen im pumping the wort through my pump and into my plate chiller. Should the pump be sanitized first?

During mash I PBW/StarSan my wort pump and chiller. The StarSan stays in the pump and chiller until the end of the boil. At boil end I push out the StarSan with wort (discarding the starsan) as I hot whirlpool the wort for 5 minutes. I continue whirlpool as I begin chilling. Cooled wort is whirlpooled and rested for 20 minutes before cast. During cast, I give one more pass through the chiller.

I start my pump 15 minutes before the end of the boil and circulate through the chiller and back into the kettle to sanitize both pump and chiller. At flame out I continue to circulate to whirlpool while starting the chiller water. After a 15 minute whirlpool I stop the pump and the chiller feed water. After allowing the wort to settle for 20 minutes, I move the output from the whirlpool inlet to the fermenter and start the pump again. I adjust chiller feed water to get the output at my yeast pitch temperature.

I start my pump 15 minutes before the end of the boil and circulate through the chiller and back into the kettle to sanitize both pump and chiller. At flame out I continue to circulate to whirlpool while starting the chiller water. After a 15 minute whirlpool I stop the pump and the chiller feed water. After allowing the wort to settle for 20 minutes, I move the output from the whirlpool inlet to the fermenter and start the pump again. I adjust chiller feed water to get the output at my yeast pitch temperature.

I do something similar but I use an immersion chiller. Recirc while boiling to sanitize the pump then whirpool at flame out and start chilling.

I think the boiling wort is very effective at sanitizing the pump and tubes.

Why not just continue to let it recirculate while chilling? This will help chill the entire volume faster since not only are you chilling the wort as it runs through the chiller, but you're mixing cooled wort in with the entire volume as well. Then just drain into the fermenter.

the FDA requires 15 minutes of contact time for hot water sanitizing of food processing equipment at 185* F.

the time goes down as temperature goes up, so if you are circulating boiling wort, you might only need 5-10 minutes of circulating it before it would meet FDA standards. though realistically everything should be pretty sanitary after the first 60 seconds or so.

Why not just continue to let it recirculate while chilling? This will help chill the entire volume faster since not only are you chilling the wort as it runs through the chiller, but you're mixing cooled wort in with the entire volume as well. Then just drain into the fermenter.

I do chill while recirculating to get the whirlpool action. I only shut off the cooling water when I stop the recirculation to settle the trub. By that time the entire wort temperature is about 85 deg. If I were to recirculate the whirlpool for about 20 minutes I would get the wort to 70 deg.

After settling, I pump the wort through the chiller to the fermenter, while controlling the cooling water to keep the output at my fermentation temperature.

Latest posts

Back