pump pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellrbrewr

Reaction score
Will anything be hurt by running a pump that has water in it but with a closed valve at the end? I'm thinking of using the blichmann autosparge and having a pump run from the HLT to the MLT through the autosparge. I'm assuming the autosparge wouldn't completely close but it would build a lot of pressure by being nearly closed when its almost at its set cutoff level. Would this hurt the pump?

The March and Chugger pumps are designed to be run that way. They are magnetically coupled. A valve on the outlet is the best way to control the flow.
I routinely shut mine off via valve while the pump continues to run. No problem.

Steve, using silicone tubing even at near boiling wort temps the tubing will not balloon even with a 809 HF March pump impeller installed capable of 18.6' of head or 8.03 psi.

Will anything be hurt by running a pump that has water in it but with a closed valve at the end? I'm thinking of using the blichmann autosparge and having a pump run from the HLT to the MLT through the autosparge. I'm assuming the autosparge wouldn't completely close but it would build a lot of pressure by being nearly closed when its almost at its set cutoff level. Would this hurt the pump?

As the others have mentioned you can do this with a magnetic head pump. Do not try that with a non magnetic head pump.

Steve, using silicone tubing even at near boiling wort temps the tubing will not balloon even with a 809 HF March pump impeller installed capable of 18.6' of head or 8.03 psi.

Carl, I was just repeating something that I read somewhere on the forum. I've never tried it, but glad to know that I'm not going to destroy some expensive tubing if I make a mistake operating my valves. :)

You may have read about hose ballooning with the LG pumps that have much higher power. My LG 4-md-sc will balloon the hose noticeably, and there are several brewers here that use even more powerful 5 and 7 series LG pumps.

Bryan, your Chugger pump (I have one also) has a 1.685" dia x .322" wide impeller, same as a standard 809 March pump. The later March 809 HF pump came with a 2.158" dia x .328" wide impeller. March pt# 0809-0107-0200. This impeller swap will increase a March or Chugger pump head from 12.1' to 18.6' or a max pressure from 5.22 psi to 8.03 psi at cutoff. A 1.539 times pressure increase and costing $19.20 for a March impeller swap I find a rather cheap investment for the gain.
Add your output valve and use it from fully opened to fully closed without any pump worries.

Thanks for the heads up. For now I'd rather keep it at a lower pressure. Eventually I'll have 2, but when they are running from HLT to MLT for sparging and one from MLT to BK for collecting I'd think slower would be better (at least with my 5g system). It probably would be nice for circulating through the CFC tho.

The HF series impeller on the second pump or a Chugger with the HF impeller, a 809 HF series March addition will help increase your whirlpool as well the flow thru your CFC. Your reply is perfect keeping the weaker pump for the MLT and HLT duties.

Back