Pump manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydk

Reaction score
Hi All,
Was wondering if anyone has used a manifold of sorts for a single pump to run their all grain system? I'm looking for a 4 port manifold for the inlet and a 4 port for the outlet. On each port of the manifold, I'll place a ball valve, but using combinations of a inlet valve and outlet valve, the hot liquor, or wort will be diverted to the appropriate vessel. I drew it all up.... the drawing makes sense..... just trying to get some advice, and maybe someone knows where to get the right part.

Thanks and Cheers!

You could build a four-port manifold out of (3) 1/2" pipe tees, a 1/2" pipe elbow, (4) 1/2" pipe nipples sized to allow all the valve handles to clear each other (I'm guessing at least 4" long), then (4) 1/2" close pipe nipples to connect the (4) ball valves. Do that twice and you have your goes-into and comes-outta manifolds.

BUT...that would be a lot of weight on a fairly long moment arm (probably close to two feet long) to hang off a typical beer pump. Even stainless steel heads would be tested - they're cast, not forged. So you'd probably want to bolt the "manifolds" to a brew structure and soft-plumb them to the pump.

Probably close to around $150 for the two manifolds and valves, even using modestly priced ($15) valves...

Cheers!

I like the idea of that layout, but you're right - that does get pricey quick. what about using barbed ball valves like this, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202270559/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=ball+valve+1%2F2%22&storeId=10051#.UBiWs2HY_fI that is lead free and a bit cheaper? It's also 1/2", and 6 of those is a lot cheaper. I could couple that with a barbed copper manifold like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202721979&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-3-_-202721983-_-202721979-_-N#.UBiWYmHY_fI and potentially make this rather inexpensive. I'd mount the whole thing on a piece of plywood to secure the pumps so they are easily operational when turning the valve handle since they would be soft plumbed on both ends. What do you think?

Thanks for the idea!

Cheers!

Back