Pump full of gunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
So I've been using a recirculating BIAB for a few years now with a march pump. My normal process is to flush the lines with warm, oxyclean-free water after each batch. I run the soapy water using the pump. For a long time, it was hassle free. Then, for my last 3 batches, I had trouble getting the pump to start. Not to prime, but actually start spinning the pump. I resolved it three times by flushing hot water from the sink through the pump. No biggie, I thought.

A few weeks after my last brew day, I had some free time, so I took the head off the pump and the pics tell why I had trouble starting it up. Apparently a simple soapy-water flush is not enough to fully clean the head of sticky wort. I have no idea what the cellophane looking stuff is, but it doesn't smell bad and is 'crunchy'.

Currently soaking all pieces in hot soapy water before scrubbing. My beers were fine because I run near-boiling wort through the pump at various times in the process (whirlpool, for example).... So infection hasn't been a problem for me.

But I think I'll be more careful how I clean the pump from now on.

View attachment 1469893975842.jpg

View attachment 1469893984034.jpg

View attachment 1469893993437.jpg

I was having trouble getting my small pumps to prime yesterday. I guess I should take them apart to make sure they are clean.

Have the same problem here, I just open it up every other batch, or maybe every third and clean it out

I don't think recirculating simple detergent is going to provide satisfactory results.
Try recirculating hot Powdered Brewery Wash (or the home made equivalent) instead...

Cheers!

I know that PBW is a little more aggressive than oxyclean but I've been able to do that simple clean in place for about 20 batches without having to take it apart. The final thing I do is force tap water through the pump at high velocity.

I Think you must have sucked in some plastic that couldnt make it through the pump and that was preventing proper flow through the pump and not allowing it to get clean. I have circulated (HERMS) for MANY 10-15 gallon batches and never seen any sign of junk in the pumps.

I cip my pump and pull it apart every few batches. Junk gets stuck behind he large Teflon thrust washer on the back of the housing on my center inlet chuggers.

The final thing I do is force tap water through the pump at high velocity.

Quick questions: Do you run the pump while you rush tap water through the lines? And, I assume you are just using tap water at the usual home-line pressure and not running super pressurized tap water through the lines? Thanks.

I don't really want to deal with cleaning this thing often. I'm the worst at buggering screw threads and I know its just a matter of time 'til I brick the whole thing by screwing up the screws or losing washers/seals.

Yep...had one of those once! I always flushed hot tap water through the pump, but also pulled the head off prior to the next brew just to thoroughly sanitize it (as someone mentioned gunk gets behind the nylon thrust washer.) At one point when pulling it down to sanitize I was appalled to find all sorts of junk still in there, even some green mold!

Now that I have a CF chiller I partially fill my kettle (after cleaning it pretty well), add PBW heat the water to almost boiling and pump this water through the CF - obviously through the pump - then repeat with just hot water - then repeat with Starsan (not heated) so I can store the CF with Starsan in it.

Took the pump head off to inspect and it was clean as a whistle... thought about only taking it apart every few brews... naw!

Don
Primary: nothing
Secondary: nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, APA and Rye IPA
Kegged: Joe IPA Clone

Back