Pump Cavitation - Excessive Foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently bought a Steelhead Pump from Northern Brewer and I've definitely noticed that my brew day is 100x easier now. Very little lifting now, I'm pretty happy.

However, I have noticed some excessive foaming issues and difficulty priming the pump. What I've been doing, as soon as I get my kettle to the proper preboil volume, is hook up all my plumbing as I heat to the boil. This is:

Out of the kettle, in to the pump, out of the pump, into the chiller, out of the chiller, back to the kettle.

I begin recirculating the hot wort through the system to sanitize everything with about 30 minutes left. However, I've been noticing that when I add things like hops, whirlfloc, or yeast nutrient, I get excessive foaming and what looks like "bubbles" running through the system. Could it be that my hoses are too long or I'm not priming correctly?

Usually I prime by opening the ball valves in reverse order, kettle return, pump out, and then kettle out. With water, I get a big bubble and a primed system, with boiling wort, though, I usually get enough wort to fill the pump head, but there's usually an air pocket about a foot long in the hose.

Any suggestions would be super helpful! Thank you!

-Jason

I would start by trying to shorten the inlet tube length, and restrict the outlet by closing a ball valve to slow down the flow.

How is your pump orientated? Could try changing that first if your out is not vertical. How long are your lines? Mine are around two feet and I have no issues. Try priming by opening the out kettle first with all others closed. Than open the kettle return, than the pump out..

Why are you trying to recirculate during a rolling boil? The pumps can handle the heat, but not the bubbles associated with a rolling boil.
I don't even turn my pump on until the boil has subsided. It still sanitizes the parts in about 30 seconds of 200F wort.

Back