Pulling the lid off primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbadarchi

Reaction score
So I pull the lid off my primary 3 or 4 times during fermentation to take hydrometer readings before bottling or racking off to secondary. Is this too much a risk of oxidization? I'm about to bottle an English mild and noticed significantly less hop flavor and aroma since my last reading. What is the proper way to get a reading without pulling the lid off?

I read on this site that 2-5 times primary-secondary, also you don't want to shack the carboy and oxidize

You don't need to take that many SG readings. Take your first about day 10 to 14, take a second 3 to 5 days later, or later.
A SG sample can be drawn through the air lock grommet with a siphon tube.

I usually take only one reading. I let fermentation go for 2 weeks or longer. I only take a second reading if I suspect the first one might indicate that it hasn't fully fermented.

I would suggest that you wait long enough that you are sure fermentation is finished, take reading #1, wait a day and take reading #2. If stable, bottle it.

9 times out of 10 you should only need the 2 readings. AS FEW AS POSSIBLE.

I'm in NO RUSH as you can see from my pipeline below. So 99% of the time I let if ferment for 4 weeks, then cold crash a week and then when I bring it in to bottle I take a reading so I know the ABV.

And BTW no reason to secondary unless you are doing something like a barley wine or adding fruit.

I'm about to bottle an English mild and noticed significantly less hop flavor and aroma since my last reading. What is the proper way to get a reading without pulling the lid off?

I am not sure if these are necessarily signs of oxidation. That's usualyly described as wet cadrboard or (long-term) sherry. And oxidation does take time to manifest itself. Would it become apparent before bottling? I don't know.

I am not sure if these are necessarily signs of oxidation. That's usualyly described as wet cadrboard or (long-term) sherry. And oxidation does take time to manifest itself. Would it become apparent before bottling? I don't know.

Interesting. I did have a stout directly before tasting my hydrometer sample, so perhaps my palate was off

I put a spigot on my pail fermenter to make readings & racking easier. Just pull the cap & center piece off the airlock & go for it. Quick & easy, with no infections as long as the spigots are cleaned & sanitized every time.

It can depend on the yeast as well, besides health, amount pitched, etc. Like S-04. I have to check a beer with that one at 10 days. US-05 or Cooper's Ale yeast can take 3-3 1/2 weeks rehydrated. Depending on temps as well.

You can suck/siphon some beer through the grommet hole with a 1/4" OD hose. It disturbs the beer and the fermentor the least.

Still like this method for going through the airlock.

A small section of ss tubing screwed to the end of a 100 cc syringe straight through the airlock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN9FXS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J26U3R8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back