Pulley Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt_McGirt

"We got food stamps. Glad to get the food stamps."
Reaction score
Bought a ratcheting pulley to use with my impending bigger kettle. My LD Carlson brew bag looks like it just has a flimsy pull string at the top....

How do you guys safely attach your bag to the pulley line?

(PS: I am aware that this is probably a ******* question whose answer will seem obvious once it's answered)

I dont do this so I may be off-base, but I would just cut some small slits to let you fish a beefier line through the bag so you can pull on that. you may have to sew in a new line as the cuts will be weak points and i'm not sure the bad can handle the weight.

I just have a hangman's noose on the end of the rope hanging down from the pulley. I gather the neck of the back together, push through the noose, and cinch it down. Has never slipped or failed in the 50 or so batches I've done this way.

I just have a hangman's noose on the end of the rope hanging down from the pulley. I gather the neck of the back together, push through the noose, and cinch it down. Has never slipped or failed in the 50 or so batches I've done this way.

2nd this one.

I've done 20+ lb grain bills this way.

2nd this one.

I've done 20+ lb grain bills this way.

That's reassuring to hear. Doing it that way was going to be my go-to option, but I didn't want to go in blind with a batch of beer at stake. I'll probably do a dry run with a small sandbag or something first to make sure it holds.

Thanks guys.

I dont do this so I may be off-base, but I would just cut some small slits to let you fish a beefier line through the bag so you can pull on that. you may have to sew in a new line as the cuts will be weak points and i'm not sure the bad can handle the weight.

That is one option I'll consider - just seeing if I can replace the cinch line in my current bag's collar with something a bit more sturdy.

This is the bag that I use.. Still going strong. It has handles sewn into the top, so it makes lifting/hoisting very easy.. Have a carabiner at the end of my pulley system, run it through the handles and rock and roll..

http://www.bagbrewer.com/index.html

Cinch the bag using the included drawstring. Then using your pulley line, tie a miller's knot around the top of the bag under the lump created by the cinched drawstring. Lift away!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454510371.990930.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454510493.195524.jpg

Several ways to do this. You can tie a loop in the hoist line and simply cinch the bag.

I prefer the second photo whereby the loop is wrapped around the bag. Then fed through the loop and cinched tight around the gathered bag and attached to the pulley.

I have never had this slip on the bag at all, the key is pulling it tight on the gathered bag, and also the weight will tend to further tighten the looped cord.

This also reduces the height of the connection, so the ratchet pulley will within reach.

I would advise against cutting holes in a bag to feed a draw string through.

The miller's knot works as well I'm sure.

I have used both of wilserbrewers methods and they work well. I used a larks head over a bunched up bag top too. I'm a rock climber and I've found that a few of the simpler friction based climbing knots work well for this.

This was my BIAB method and I never had a bag slip out. Make sure your using a rope or cord that can handle the weight. I used 30lb paracord.

I've found brew bags through www.brewinabag.com to be great, and they have loops that seem to be specifically for pulley systems. check em out.

Just my biased opinion, I don't feel the additional cost of the loops is warranted. I also feel it is better and stronger to cinch the entire bag rather than rely on stitched handles. As mentioned above, attaching at the very top of the bag raises the pulley attachment even higher, possibly out of reach on larger systems. Cinching the bag can save you 12-18" vertically.

Of course, just my biased opinion :)

View attachment 334980View attachment 334981

Several ways to do this. You can tie a loop in the hoist line and simply cinch the bag.

I prefer the second photo whereby the loop is wrapped around the bag. Then fed through the loop and cinched tight around the gathered bag and attached to the pulley.

I have never had this slip on the bag at all, the key is pulling it tight on the gathered bag, and also the weight will tend to further tighten the looped cord.

This also reduces the height of the connection, so the ratchet pulley will within reach.

I would advise against cutting holes in a bag to feed a draw string through.

The miller's knot works as well I'm sure.

Great info. Yeah, I can see why the second option might inspire a bit more confidence.

As promised, once people chimed in, it seems pretty obvious. I just needed some reassurance that this was a reliable method.

I have used both of wilserbrewers methods and they work well. I used a larks head over a bunched up bag top too. I'm a rock climber and I've found that a few of the simpler friction based climbing knots work well for this.

Just one more reason I need to go find my knots book and re-learn some of these. It's been a while. I think I might still remember how to tie a proper prusik? :confused:

Just my biased opinion, I don't feel the additional cost of the handles is warranted. For larger bags, I feel it is better and stronger to cinch the entire bag rather than rely on stitched handles. As mentioned above, attaching at the very top of the bag raises the pulley attachment even higher, possibly out of reach on larger systems. Cinching the bag can save you 12-18" vertically.

Of course, just my biased opinion :)

I thought on your website that there used to be pictures of how to lift the bag. I cannot find them now.

I've always just tied a loop in the string when drawn tight and lift it up. It works flawlessly for me.

Back