pull-out faucet to garden hose adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
Is there an adapter on the market to take the hose from my kitchen pull-out faucet to a garden hose fitting? I'm talking about the actual sink faucet, not the separate rinse faucet usually mounted to the side.

I unscrewed the hose off of the faucet head last night and the fitting is definitely smaller than the standard aerator type fitting on a "normal" faucet.

I'm sure I could take the hose with me to the store and rig something up, but was hoping a product already exists.

Thank you,
Chris

I was able to find a Watts Brand 1/2" MIP to male garden hose adapter in the plumbing parts of Lowes/HD. Works on mine. The one that jpakstis linked too did not fit on my pull-out faucet.

good luck.

Tried my best to find something that would work, but no luck. It ain't metric, it ain't standard. Yes I just quoted Mater.

Good luck. At my new place, I literally bought an entire new faucet just to be able to hook up a garden hose to it for use with my plate chiller.

I brought the garden hose adapter piece into Lowes and was unscrewing all the demo faucets to make sure it would fit

Sounds like this may be a job for my new 3D printer. (I just have to learn how to use it.) Or I could just go under the sink and splice in an outdoor water spigot.

Just thinking out loud here, but considering I want to make my own wort chiller and use it this weekend, I wonder if I couldn't take the 3/8" tubing from the chiller-in and adapt that up to say around a 1/2" ID tube that would slide over the faucet connector (sprayer removed), and then just clamp down. Not exactly elegant, but might work for this weekend.

I worked around that problem on mine by running the faucet into a bucket. In the bucket is an aquarium pump that pumps into the chiller. It all actually works pretty good, and I have the option of adding ice to the bucket.

Sounds like this may be a job for my new 3D printer. (I just have to learn how to use it.) Or I could just go under the sink and splice in an outdoor water spigot.

Just thinking out loud here, but considering I want to make my own wort chiller and use it this weekend, I wonder if I couldn't take the 3/8" tubing from the chiller-in and adapt that up to say around a 1/2" ID tube that would slide over the faucet connector (sprayer removed), and then just clamp down. Not exactly elegant, but might work for this weekend.

Tried that the faucet connector on mine was a compression fitting. Leaked like a sieve

I worked around that problem on mine by running the faucet into a bucket. In the bucket is an aquarium pump that pumps into the chiller. It all actually works pretty good, and I have the option of adding ice to the bucket.

I actually do the same and it works pretty well. I think it's actually better than the water pressure I normally get out of my faucet directly anyway. I probably would have changed the faucet but I'm only renting this apt lol

Go to your local home center - Home Depot, Menards, Lowes and get an adapter. Take your aerator or the whole pull out sprayer with you (make sure the hose doesn't go back into the base or you'll have a hell of a time getting it back out). There are at least 3 or 4 thread types. You may have to get two adapters, one to extend it out and another for the hose. I have a Delta pull out faucet and may have had to connect two adapters to make it work, but it does work. Its' been a while since I needed to use it so I can't remember exactly how I did it.

I just wanted to add that you may have seek out any adapter that would fit. In my case I could not find a hose thread adapter for my pull-out faucet but I did find an adapter that was for a portable washer like this one: http://image.haier.com/us/products/laundry/washers/compact-washers/W020131119536124794449.jpg

Then I just forced a 1/2 vinyl tube over it and clamped it.

Also you might try one of these as an alternative:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/46342956?...1608794&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=176026642834&veh=sem

The one posted in the picture above does not seem to have a very big end on it but I've definitely seen them at the big box store with bigger and more flexible ends to fit bigger faucet heads.

I went with the aquarium pump solution.
I'm going to do my first batch tomorrow with my new homemade chiller (50' of 3/8"), and pump.

Wish me luck.

I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed with this setup. With 50' of 3/8" homemade chiller, and an aquarium pump, it took 30 minutes, with stirring, to go from the boil to 68 degrees. It's entirely possible the pump just isn't putting enough volume of water through the lines, but there was a full stream coming out.

My water temp was 56 degrees, and once the wort got down to about 110 or so, I dumped ice into the water.

Previously I would use an ice bath in my deep sink, and it would take 16 minutes to achieve the same cooling, but this required me carrying the pot down to the basement.

Oh well, I'll fiddle with different pumps and what not.

I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed with this setup. With 50' of 3/8" homemade chiller, and an aquarium pump, it took 30 minutes, with stirring, to go from the boil to 68 degrees. It's entirely possible the pump just isn't putting enough volume of water through the lines, but there was a full stream coming out.

My water temp was 56 degrees, and once the wort got down to about 110 or so, I dumped ice into the water.

Previously I would use an ice bath in my deep sink, and it would take 16 minutes to achieve the same cooling, but this required me carrying the pot down to the basement.

Oh well, I'll fiddle with different pumps and what not.

Did you just throw the chiller into the pot and turned it on, or did you also move the chiller around in the wort as it chilled? My impression is that getting the wort across/through the chiller will greatly improve chilling. This is the basis for the "next-generation" immersion chillers that have wort recirculation arms and other whirly-gigs to get wort movement. I'd try that first.

Broadbill,
I did stir, and swish, and wiggle; I might have even boogied down a little. But, alas, the increased contact didn't get me down to my average chilling time with an ice bath.

The copper is brand new (shiny) and the input hose was only about 8' long, so it can really only be the amount of water the cheap aquarium pump was pushing through. It says it is rated at in the hundreds of gallons per hour (don't have the specs in front of me), but I find it hard to believe based on the pencil size stream I had running into the sink from the faucet to maintain the water level. However, I will say that even at that volume, the coil was taking out a lot of heat in the beginning. The output hose was too hot to touch for a couple of minutes.

Getting a bit off topic - I'm not sure I like the coil chiller much because of the cleanup required. First you have to blow all the water out of the coils. Which either means turning it upside down in the sink, and/or blowing it out with an air hose or my lungs. Then, that is a lot of surface area to sanitize. Again, not a huge deal, but it does require a decent size sink or bucket with StarSan to rinse everything off. On the plus side, it definitely is easier to just drop the coil in the pot and start cooling, as opposed to hauling downstairs to my deep sink. If it were a clear win with the time to cool I would be more excited. I'm sure I'll try it again soon, with a bigger pump and get used to the new routine.

Chris

Broadbill,
I did stir, and swish, and wiggle; I might have even boogied down a little. But, alas, the increased contact didn't get me down to my average chilling time with an ice bath.

The copper is brand new (shiny) and the input hose was only about 8' long, so it can really only be the amount of water the cheap aquarium pump was pushing through. It says it is rated at in the hundreds of gallons per hour (don't have the specs in front of me), but I find it hard to believe based on the pencil size stream I had running into the sink from the faucet to maintain the water level. However, I will say that even at that volume, the coil was taking out a lot of heat in the beginning. The output hose was too hot to touch for a couple of minutes.

Getting a bit off topic - I'm not sure I like the coil chiller much because of the cleanup required. First you have to blow all the water out of the coils. Which either means turning it upside down in the sink, and/or blowing it out with an air hose or my lungs. Then, that is a lot of surface area to sanitize. Again, not a huge deal, but it does require a decent size sink or bucket with StarSan to rinse everything off. On the plus side, it definitely is easier to just drop the coil in the pot and start cooling, as opposed to hauling downstairs to my deep sink. If it were a clear win with the time to cool I would be more excited. I'm sure I'll try it again soon, with a bigger pump and get used to the new routine.

Chris

not sure what is up with the chilling time, how long is your IC and how big are you batch sizes.

As for sanitizing, are you doing more than dropping it into the boiling wort to sanitize it?

I own a Roto-Rooter franchise and I've been dealing with this problem when I clean kitchen drains. I've ran into 2 different sizes of thread when you unscrew that pull out faucet. One is the half inch which you can buy a hose adapter and just about any hardware store. The other is an oddball size that nobody knows haha. Except me :). I literally just made a hose adapter for what you're looking for. Hit me up and I'll show you what I made and you can tell me if it looks like it'll work
[email protected]

I got mine at a pet store. They are for fish tank siphons. Plastic one lasted about a year. Then I upgraded to brass. I’ve had it for 15 years.

IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0453.JPG

I accomplished this by going a different route. I used a 3/8" MIP to 3/4" FHT adapter and used a 3/8" braided hose and connected it to the shut off valve below the sink.

Another shot with shut off valve that I use to regulate the amount of water going thru my plate chiller.
IMG_0454.JPG

I'm also looking for a way to run my beer line (3/16) into my racking cane (7/16) for forced transfer. Currently I have dug the 3/16 line out with a stanley knife and hold onto it whilst transferring and I'm frankly sick of that. It was interesting work digging out the tubing whilst bleeding over the floor from the numerous stab wounds to my hands and then cramping as I attempted to grip onto the whole set up for the 5 or so minutes it takes to transfer. Yes. I'm an idiot ;)

Is there an adapter on the market to take the hose from my kitchen pull-out faucet to a garden hose fitting? I'm talking about the actual sink faucet, not the separate rinse faucet usually mounted to the side.

I unscrewed the hose off of the faucet head last night and the fitting is definitely smaller than the standard aerator type fitting on a "normal" faucet.

I'm sure I could take the hose with me to the store and rig something up, but was hoping a product already exists.

Thank you,
Chris

I have a Delta pull-down faucet and this is the adapter that worked for me: 3/4" MGH x 1/2" MIP.

Back