PSI problem!!!!1!1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wentsj28

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm getting very frustrated with my CO2 and regulator. The past few weeks have been no beer for me because I can't seem to solve this problem. I have a dual regulator hooked up to my CO2. I've had problems with the PSI creeping up to 30 after being set to 10 after only a few minutes. So I shut off the valves that lead to the kegs, and turned my regulator to all the way off (as far out as it will turn). When I turn my CO2 tank on, even the slightest, my pressure jumps to about 80psi in seconds.

What is going on here? I've used soapy water to check for leaks and I can't find a thing. Is my regulator shot?

Most likely there's some bit of debris caught in the pin-hole valve behind the diaphragm. It's not uncommon, and I've seen pictures of brand new regulator bodies loaded with brass machining debris.

You called it a "dual regulator" - do both regulators exhibit the same behavior?

You should isolate the regulator from the kegs until you get this problem resolved, especially if you do not have an anti-backflow valve (aka "check" valve) on your regulator output. If you've overcarbed your keg it'll back-feed pressure to the regulator and mess up any reading on the low pressure gauge, making it read higher than the actual setting.

Anyway, you can try blowing out the drifting regulator: turn the tank off, disconnect any down stream hoses, open the regulator all the way (as in Very High Pressure), open the stop valve if you have one, point the regulator output away from living things and anything fragile, then open the tank valve in short blasts. Give it three really good blasts, then close the tank valve, turn down the regulator, and close the stop valve. Then open the tank valve and adjust the regulator, and see if it's behaving, or still creeping...

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice day trippr, but it didn't work. Same issue. I was mistaken though, it's not a "dual regulator" it's a single, I just have a splitter attached to it.

Thanks for the advice day trippr, but it didn't work. Same issue. I was mistaken though, it's not a "dual regulator" it's a single, I just have a splitter attached to it.

I have been having this problem as well, though my creep is not as fast - more along the lines of 4-5psi a day. I ordered a new diaphragm seal and "cartridge" and replaced them inside the regulator. Same thing still happened. Just this sunday I took everything apart, including the wye splitter. Blew the inside of the regulator out completely and re-teflon taped the wye splitter. I think it is ok now....only been two days and it appears to be holding at 10psi, only time will tell!

I would unscrew everything and make there is no tape or other debris sticking out in the regulator. Good Luck!

Ya, if its rising that quickly it could be that you need a new diaphragm or the little cartridge piece. Maybe contact the company you bought everything from and see if they have replacement parts? The regulator really shouldn't go bad after a year and a half. Especially with us homebrewers who don't abuse the system much. I say this because I think i have resolved my problem...I was about where you are the other day, but decided to give it one more try and it is holding strong at 10psi :)

Back