Pros and cons of removing chlorine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would sanitizing with hydrogen peroxide contribute to the phenol reaction? Perhaps even amplify it?

I used peroxide in a pinch to sanitize, (sterilize, really) and it just dawned on me that the peroxide, combined with chlorinated water, probably has a more profound effect on off-flavors.

Based on my limited knowledge and extensive research Hydrogen Peroxide is actually very effective at removing chlorine and therefore the associated phenols.

Looks like ~23ml of 3% peroxide would remove the chlorine from 10gals or water.

I've about came to the conclusion to use ascorbic acid (vitamin C). My estimates says 3.5g to treat 10gals of chlorinated/chlorimided water.

These calculations assume the water supply chlorine concentration doesn't exceed 3mg/L.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-09012000-13030039/unrestricted/etd.pdf

See page 80 for dosage amounts. There are some nice graphs showing how effective these and other options are.

Back