Just Wondering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
New to beer brewing, about 2 years now. New to coffee roasting, about 5 or 6 months now. I have been searching Youtube vids on how to make bourbon and wondering what the start up is? What would I need to get it going? How difficult is it and can it be done in a smaller space, say a kitchen or garage? I am intrigued at the thought of making my own bourbon and have thought it would be pretty cool. As I get older and near retirement, I am wondering how fun it would be to give it a try. Initial cost layout and all that is important as the accountant (wife) will be a tough sell to allow me to make something else that contains alcohol. LOL. Anyway, I was just curious more than anything. Rock On!!!!!!!

All you really need, in addition to what you already have for making beer, is a still, and a Proof - Tralle hydrometer for measuring Proof/ABV of the distilled spirit (a beer/wine/mead hydrometer will not work.) If you have an electric all-in-one brew system, then you may not need to get a whole still, but just a still attachment that fits on top of your AOI.

You can distill indoors, but you must make sure you have good ventilation to prevent the build-up of explosive levels of alcohol vapor.

For bourbon, you need to make a hops-free beer that is 50%, or more, corn adjunct as your starting "wash" to feed the still.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
i went with a stainless milk jug, a tri-clamp bulk head for the lid, and a copper kit off ebay with a tri-clamp ferule.
the beauty about the milk jugs is the lid fits all sizes so you can get a small 3 gallon one then go up to a 15 if you decide 3 gallons is just too small and you won't have drill into stainless again (which is a pain without really good hole saws).

A simple bourbon example: 75% cracked corn from the feed store, and 25% malted wheat or two row.
boil water, remove heat, add corn.
let it sit until 150-155f.
added crushed wheat and some enzyme (though i doubt you need it).
add yeast when at proper temp.

Back