Props to Denny's Favorite 50

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourSeasonAngler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I mean wow. 4 weeks ago I brewed an AG Sculpin IPA clone using Denny's yeast instead of a good West Coast yeast. Kegged it about a week ago, burst carbed, and so far after a few samples, I think I'm in love.

Very smooth mouthfeel after a good carb on it, hints of malt and crystal sweetness play in the background to resiny and vibrant hop character. Quite an amazing IPA.

This is my first brew done with a calculated ratio of tap/distilled water with salts added and a smidge of lactic acid added to the boil. Looking back at my previous brews compared to this one makes me wonder why I did not start doing this sooner.

Denny's Favorite 50 is amazing though. 151 mash temp, 81% attenuation at 64*F ferment temp.

I love that strain, too! Right now I have a Northern English brown fermenting with that strain, but I use it for many different ales and just love the way it enhances the malt without being underattenuative. It's one of my favorites.

Yooper, I'm trying it for the first time in your amber ale this weekend! I've heard many good things.

Back