Interesting Imperial NEIPA Result

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I posted an imperial NEIPA recipe here about 6 weeks ago. I brewed it and followed the same process (water, WP and dry hop timing, etc) and recipe with the following exceptions:

1. Heftier grain bill...no sugar to bump OG, just scaled up the recipe
  2. Did not add any flaked oats (I usually do flaked oats and flaked wheat)
  3. Used WYeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite) instead of 1318
  4. Biotransformation hop addition was cryo hops instead of regular pellets
My other NEIPAs have been very juicy, nice mouthfeel, and had the NEIPA look you'd expect. I kegged this Saturday and the sample I had Sunday was amazing. Perfect grapefruit flavor and bitterness, nice mouthfeel, a bit boozy (7.3%), but probably the best IPA I've brewed.

Last night...lost all it's haze. Mouthfeel is thinner. It's still got great light golden color and a very nice hop flavor, but not the juice bomb it was on Sunday. It reminds me more of fresh Pliny than a typical NEIPA. I've never had a NEIPA drop clear on me.

So....pretty much has to be the yeast or absence of flaked oats or cryo hops. I'm guessing the oats? The strange part is that I've read of people brewing NEIPAs with no oats, so I'm a bit confused.

Thoughts?

I remember reading that article from Scott Janish more than a year ago and thought that was quite odd.

I might add that flaked adjuncts can help with the haze, but they are not the reason your beer stays hazy. I brewed hazy beers with just Pilsner and Pale malt.

Has nothing to do with the oats.
That American 2 row has more than enough protein to create haze on its own. I never use wheat or oats and never have beers clear with certain strains.

It’s the cryo hops and the yeast. You need the leaf matter. The polyohenols are on the vegetal matter.

I would suspect the yeast has something to do with it as well. The lower floccing yeasts (1056) will clear beers over time.

To date my only NEIPA used exclusively cryo hops for the biotransformation dryhop. It was awesome, very hazy and fruity, but eventually the haze did fade. I'm trying the opposite this year.
As a side note, I've read that even though flaked adjuncts have lots of protein, they actually are detrimental to haze since the huge proteins fall out of suspension faster, and are mainly for mouthfeel.

Back