Proper way to re-use beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, im always using bottles (harvested from the local brewery) but im planning to use some new bottles to put some hombrew beers in the restaurant my parents owns, the thing its at least for the moment i dont intent to keg, so im thinking in bottling but what itd the proper way to clean and reuse the bottles? I always do a chlorine aosk for about 30 minutes next rinse water and the starsan, i use about 3 gallon of frest starsan to clean about 144 bottles at the same, i clean and sanitize 24 bottles at the same time and while aim bottling i do the others bottles until i finish the bottling day, but sometimes i got some yest stuck in the bottom of the beers, ehich i dont my for my personal use, but its something i wouldnt do for the restaurant, so, how do you wash your beer the proper way to ensure full clean bottles without any yeast or any dirt on the bottles?

I know it's not the question you're asking, but this would be my first topic to address prior to the one you're asking: Unsure where your parents' restaurant is located, but you may want to check local laws about this before doing so. It'd be a shame for them to needlessly lose their liquor license if this is illegal in your local area.

Bottle cleaning is a chore I came to despise, but necessary to do exceptionally well before trusting your brew to be stored and/or bottle conditioned.. Even more so if you're going to expose others to the contents you bottle. I start with ensuring that bottles are rinsed clean inside shortly after the contents has been poured. The majority of sediment can be easily removed at this point while it's still 'soft' and easily washed away.

You should incorporate a bottle brush into your cleaning routine, allowing you to scrub any remaining contaminates that remain after your initial soaking. You note using chlorine, but I'd recommend a bottle cleaning product similar to PBW if you consistently have residue that isn't simply washed away.

If you don't have superb vision, get yourself a set of reading glasses with a small bit of magnification so you can more easily see anything still inside the bottle after you've given it its initial first round of soaking/cleaning. Eagle-eye inspection is a must for ensuring reused bottles are completely clean and free of any small amount of crud.

Thabk you for your reply, well we live outside USA, there are no laws against liquor here, you only need the normal liquor license to sell your homemade beers.

I believe im going to switch to PBW to try and also get some bottles brush to help me clean the bottles. Thank you

if you do a search here, I believe there's been a couple recipes posted for a self-made version of PBW. I'm sure it'll be less expensive to make your own if you can source the ingredients locally.

Latest posts

Back