Proper kegging steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBZSTL

Reaction score
Do to being under a time crunch I used the shake method to carb my beer. The beer is an Imperial IPA. According to the gas volume table the psi is to be set at 19 psi. I have tasted a couple of test pulls and the carbonation appears to be adequate. My question is to I leave the pressure at 19 psi when not serving? I realize that as the temperature may change (which it shouldn't) that the psi may need to be adjusted. Obviously I'll reduce the psi when serving. Thanks

19 sounds pretty high to leave it at for more than a day or two, what's the temperature of your keg/beer/fridge/etc?

If your fridge is even at 40F or so, which I think most consider 'warm', though I think it's fine, 19 psi would give you quite a lot of carb, perhaps more than you'd want. That is, if it was left like this for more than a day or two.

The typical set and forget psi would be between 10 and 15 usually, higher for warmer chambers, all balanced with your line length etc.

I agree that 19 seems a little high. My kegerator is set to 43ish and I typically never have to go above 15 psi, even for witbiers.

Ideally, you'd set your co2 to the level of your desired volumes and leave it. It should eventually equalize.

i am having the same problem. poor planning lead to an empty keg. i was going to have a few tonight so i cranked it up to 30 psi and shook it some. figure i will leave it on 30 for an hour or so and hope for the best...

Is the carb chart a tool to only determine the level of psi needed to reach initial carbonation? Once desired carb is reached then I set it to the lower or serving psi correct? I realize that I should have cooled the beer to a lower temperature range but again did not have time. Consequently I have pulled pints over the past few nights. One problem I've had however is that the level of carbonation seems to decrease as the number of pulls increase. The serving psi is set to 10 psi. Could the cause of this be attributed to a failure to reach full carbonation in the beginning?

All the carb charts I've seen show the pressure for carbonating AND serving. On the ones I've seen, if you want x volumes of CO2 at y temperature, then set it to z psi and forget about it. The pressure will build in the keg until it equalizes at the proper amount of CO2.

This is also somewhat dependent on the length of your lines. Longer lines=higher serving pressure, which also = more carbonation.

Is the carb chart a tool to only determine the level of psi needed to reach initial carbonation? Once desired carb is reached then I set it to the lower or serving psi correct? I realize that I should have cooled the beer to a lower temperature range but again did not have time. Consequently I have pulled pints over the past few nights. One problem I've had however is that the level of carbonation seems to decrease as the number of pulls increase. The serving psi is set to 10 psi. Could the cause of this be attributed to a failure to reach full carbonation in the beginning?

I highly recommend to have no such things as "serving pressure" and "carbing pressure". As you've found, you can not really balance your system that way.

My kegerator is 40 degrees, and my regulator is set at 12 psi. Always. It's just the way it is. That makes life easier! No overcarbed or undercarbed beer- no turning it up/turning it down.

I have four to five kegs in my kegerator. I can't imagine turning the regulator up and down each time I want a beer!

Look at the carbonation chart, and find your temperature. Set the regulator to the psi it tells you do (you can use a simple 2.6 volumes of co2 to start). And leave it there forever.

If you're getting foamy pours at this pressure, it means either your lines are getting warm (like in a tower) or they are too short. Balance the system by lengthening the lines, but don't turn the regulator down to pour.

I close the valves on all but one line. Crank it to 30+ for the new keg (already chilled) and roll it for 10 minutes. Reduce the pressure back to serving level (10psi for me) and enjoy. Easy. :)

I highly recommend to have no such things as "serving pressure" and "carbing pressure". As you've found, you can not really balance your system that way.

My kegerator is 40 degrees, and my regulator is set at 12 psi. Always. It's just the way it is. That makes life easier! No overcarbed or undercarbed beer- no turning it up/turning it down.

I have four to five kegs in my kegerator. I can't imagine turning the regulator up and down each time I want a beer!

Look at the carbonation chart, and find your temperature. Set the regulator to the psi it tells you do (you can use a simple 2.6 volumes of co2 to start). And leave it there forever.

If you're getting foamy pours at this pressure, it means either your lines are getting warm (like in a tower) or they are too short. Balance the system by lengthening the lines, but don't turn the regulator down to pour.

Thanks for the advice, makes sense. I have yet to put together a kegerator (next project) and was traveling with my keg so unfortunately the temperature fluctuated (not good). I'll place the remainder of the keg in my ferm chamber and leave it set at a proper serving temperature.

Nice work on the Mad Season lyrics btw.

19 sounds pretty high to leave it at for more than a day or two, what's the temperature of your keg/beer/fridge/etc?

If your fridge is even at 40F or so, which I think most consider 'warm', though I think it's fine, 19 psi would give you quite a lot of carb, perhaps more than you'd want. That is, if it was left like this for more than a day or two.

The typical set and forget psi would be between 10 and 15 usually, higher for warmer chambers, all balanced with your line length etc.

Thanks. I racked the beer to the keg at 60F and the recommended serving temp for the IIPA is 54F-60F and the carb chart indicates a psi of 19 for 2.4 volumes. 19 seemed high for serving. I realize I should have probably racked it at a cooler temperature but due to time restraints I had to do what I had to do.

Latest posts

Back