Proper Headspace For Tap-A-Draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Timmy

Reaction score
I want to naturally carb a batch in a few Tap-A-Draft bottles. Whats the rule of thumb for how much headspace to leave?

Never used them, the price per gallon was to pricey for me, but I hate an answered thread. I would think that around 1/6 to 1/8 volume should give you a good pressure. Of course you you could chill them down and then put in 30lbs of pressure, vent the air and shake and force carbonate within a few hours.
I think you just need to experiment with them on the first batch and see what you like.

Never bothered to measure, but I definitely leave plenty of space in the bottle when I force-carb. 1.5 - 2" below the neck, I'd guess. If you don't you'll loose most of the CO2 cartridge out the vent.

I also only replace empty cartridges one at a time. In other words, I'll tap a flat, chilled bottle and load just one CO2 cartridge (other side has an empty in it). Wait 24 hours, then load one more cartridge. After 48 hours, it's ready to drink.

Back