Propane tank just stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of brew day. I have a turkey Fryer, and I hooked it up to my propane tank like normal. It worked great for the mash, and the mash out.

But when I went to start the boil, I put a lighter up to the burner, and turned on the gas like normal. It put out gas for a second, and then stopped, and the flame went out.

I hooked up my turkey fryer to my neighbor's propane tank, and it works... the problem is, they are moving today, and I don't know if I'll be able to use the propane tank for the entire boil... or if they'll need to move it.

Any thoughts on how to fix my propane tank? It really shouldn't be out of gas, and I'm pretty sure it's not that light yet.

Definitely a possibility- I'm just not convinced it's out. My last tank lasted 7 batches. This is the 2nd batch I'm using it on. Any idea how heavy an empty tank would be?

You could weigh the tank on a bathroom scale. IIRC, the empty tank weighs about 18 lbs. The tare weight (empty weight of the tank) should be stamped on the collar somewhere. So, if it weighs significantly more than about 18 lbs there is still some gas in the tank.

More than likely, you inadverently tripped the surge valve which is a safety device to prevent the tank from rapidly emptying in the event that a hose should rupture or otherwise become compromised. The solution is to turn off the tank valve, open the burner valve to relieve pressure in the hose. Then close the burner valve before slowly opening the tank valve. Once the tank valve is open, you should be able to open the burner valve and light it up. If this does not solve the problem, you might try closing the tank valve and disconnecting the regulator from the tank, then reconnect and proceed. If none of that works, there may be something wrong with the tank valve, the OPD internal valve or the regulator.

Weighed it, it came in at 29 lbs. I'm leaning towards the surge valve. I'll give your suggestions a try while the wort is cooling.

I fill tanks at my job, and every now and then we get one with a stuck OPD. If that's the case, it can usually be fixed by holding the tank upside down and giving it a good shake.

I fill tanks at my job, and every now and then we get one with a stuck OPD. If that's the case, it can usually be fixed by holding the tank upside down and giving it a good shake.

Any tips on how exactly to shake? Up and down, side to side? I'm still not getting it to work.

When you open up the tank valve, are you hearing a click? If you are, you are tripping the surge valve. Is your regulator adjustable? Mine is and if I have it too high it'll trip the valve.

i've had it where i've brewed a few batches, then it stops working. i remove and really cinch the hose onto the tank, and it starts working again

When you open up the tank valve, are you hearing a click? If you are, you are tripping the surge valve. Is your regulator adjustable? Mine is and if I have it too high it'll trip the valve.

No clicks that I could hear.

i've had it where i've brewed a few batches, then it stops working. i remove and really cinch the hose onto the tank, and it starts working again

Ah, yes. This worked. I had to really really wrench it on, but it works now.

Thanks all! The yeast is pitched, and everything is working again.

One thing I have heard is an oxygen (air) bubble getting trapped in the adjustable regulator if you leave the regulator knob open while you crack open the propane tank valve. It forms an air bubble that will stay there even when you adjust the regulator. I'm not sure of the details behind this as I have never had the problem, but a fellow at the local home-brewing club mentioned this....FWIW.

One thing I have heard is an oxygen (air) bubble getting trapped in the adjustable regulator if you leave the regulator knob open while you crack open the propane tank valve. It forms an air bubble that will stay there even when you adjust the regulator. I'm not sure of the details behind this as I have never had the problem, but a fellow at the local home-brewing club mentioned this....FWIW.

This is an incorrect explanation of what happens when the surge valve is tripped which can happen if you have the adjustable regulator open before you open the tank valve. It's no different than having the burner control valve open before opening the tank valve. There can't be an air bubble trapped in the regulator. It's simply not possible. There is normally no burner control valve when an adjustable regulator is used as it is also the on/off valve. It's the sudden rush of gas when the tank valve is opened suddenly that trips the surge valve. It's best to have the burner, adjustable regulator or appliance control valve closed and open the tank valve slowly at first to avoid tripping the surge valve.

Latest posts

Back