Propane burner choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philjohnwilliams

Reaction score
Hi
I am looking to buy a propane burner and have narrowed my choice down the two Bayou Classic models, the SP-10 and the SQ-14.

For some background, i am an extract brewer, but am thinking of going AG in the next year or so. I brew 5g batches, with no intention of going larger ( I don't have the room nor do i drink enough for larger batches).

At the monent, both these burners are about the same price on Amazon, so price isn't a factor. I am sure i have left out a ton of relevant info, let me know if there is something i have missed.

-phil

Disclaimer: I brew with electricity because its more efficient. I get that people like to brew with fire. Someday we all may have to.

I had an SQ-14. POS. If you want a fire that ain't it, but it would maintain a 10 gal boil, it just took a couple lifetimes out of my cat getting there. She has 4 left, don't worry.

onthekeg said:
. . . I had an SQ-14. POS . . .

My experience is the opposite. Use an SQ-14, I do 5.5 gallon batches, so around 7 - 7.5 gallon boils and it brings it up to a boil quickly and without trouble.

I do BIAB in a 40 quart aluminum pot over an SP-10, 5 gallon batches. It burns about 3.5# of propane for about 1.5 hours of fire (15min to mash temp, 10 to mash out temp, 10 to boil, typical 60 min boil).
I am quite pleased with it, but have no experience with any other burner. My pot is flat-bottomed - I think people have stated that the round grate of the SP-10 is not good for using a keggle.

Back