Propane Burner 4"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMonti

Reaction score
I just thought I would share this. Sorry if it already has been posted. I didn't try to search it out. I will admit I am kinda upset at those who say that the 4" high pressure burners are loud. All you need to do is tune the flame for the firing rate you are using. If it sounds like a jet engine, it has too much air and you aren't getting the full output. Choke it down a little on the air damper.

Also, when selecting your burner, choose your tank wisely too. A standard 20lb tank even in a water bath can't supply the 170,000 BTUs/HR that the 4" burner is rated for. At least not to my understanding. So buying a bigger burner isn't going to get you more BTUs. The tank and the regulator is the limiting factor. Maybe I am missing something else in this......If someone knows please post it up. I would like to be correct in my thinking.

The first second or two in the video there is a click, click. Those clicks are the buttons on pants in my dryer. I get the camera too within about 18" of the burner. $8 burner or a $50 dollar burner.......

I will admit I am kinda upset at those who say that the 4" high pressure burners are loud.
Sorry, yours still is compared to one of mine.;)
All my low pressure(.5 PSI) jet burners are very noisy except for this baby,
not a sound.
Ring burner
100_0175.jpg

This is only the 10 jet low pressure and requires earplugs, no fun to brew with.

GreenMonti thanks for posting your video.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Sorry, yours still is compared to one of mine.;)
All my low pressure(.5 PSI) jet burners are very noisy except for this baby,
not a sound.
Ring burner
100_0175.jpg

This is only the 10 jet low pressure and requires earplugs, no fun to brew with.

GreenMonti thanks for posting your video.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

LOL. I can't say I would be very happy with that one.

How about a short clip of you other burner? I have never been up close to one.

When I am boiling with my steam I am running my burner at a lower rate then in the video. I just get a slight hissing.

Prost.:mug:

True, Greenmonti, they are not "jet engine" loud but once you use a banjo or ring burner it is loud, esp. if you have it full blast to get sparge water to temp, and even more so, if like me, you have a 3 tier so the burner is at eye level.

True, Greenmonti, they are not "jet engine" loud but once you use a banjo or ring burner it is loud, esp. if you have it full blast to get sparge water to temp, and even more so, if like me, you have a 3 tier so the burner is at eye level.

I took my 3 tier setup apart about 4-5 months ago. So I can appreciate where you are coming from. I brewed on my 3 tier for 4 1/2 years. I knew it had to go once I built the FB.

However I am now without a setup. DOH!!:drunk:

I would like to add that not all of those 4" turkey fryer style burners are made the same. My friend has a bayou classic model and it's way hotter and better made than the ones I have, so that should be a consideration factor.

I would like to add that not all of those 4" turkey fryer style burners are made the same. My friend has a bayou classic model and it's way hotter and better made than the ones I have, so that should be a consideration factor.

What do you have?
What PSI is your regulator?

I have three. I have two made by Brinkmann and one that is a Target $40 special.The one in the video is the Target special.

Edit; All three of mine have adjustable regulators to control the flame.

Back