propane brewing indoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwsenoj

Reaction score
Anyone ever brew indoors with their propane burner? I have both a Blichman and a Northern Brewer Dark Star that I wanted to use in my laundry room with an exhaust fan that pulls 700 CFM to get rid of the heat and used air.

Initially, I thought, "Bad idea, dude," but then I have a gas oven and range that sometimes has all burners going. Also, the 700 CFM fan pulls a lot more than a standard kitchen or bathroom exhaust fan so dealing with the bad air shouldn't be a problem.

Hoping to do this since I live in the desert where temps are routinely 115*, and sometimes higher, for 3 months a year.

:mug:

I dont see a problem as long as you have adequate ventilation. Im no expert though so do at your own risk.

It's probably safe with an exhaust fan. I'd also have a CO detector nearby for piece of mind.

Yup. I usually have my gas generator running right next to it.

But seriously I agree that it probably isn't the best idea. I'll be braving the 105 degree heat index to brew tomorrow

Anyone ever brew indoors with their propane burner? I have both a Blichman and a Northern Brewer Dark Star that I wanted to use in my laundry room with an exhaust fan that pulls 700 CFM to get rid of the heat and used air.

Initially, I thought, "Bad idea, dude," but then I have a gas oven and range that sometimes has all burners going. Also, the 700 CFM fan pulls a lot more than a standard kitchen or bathroom exhaust fan so dealing with the bad air shouldn't be a problem.

Hoping to do this since I live in the desert where temps are routinely 115*, and sometimes higher, for 3 months a year.

:mug:

Gas ovens are designed to produce complete combustion with little or no CO. Propane burners are not.

Even with the 700 CFM vent fan, be very careful. A CO detector would be a good idea.

I would be terrified of fire. You need an air supply TO the burner, not just sucking air out.

I would invest in an electric coil before doing this.

I'm not interested in electric, and also, if you are sucking air out, then, unless you have an airtight room, new air is coming in from somewhere. Right?

A gas range and a propane burner are totally different. DO NOT DO IT!!!

If you want to try it get a very good CO detector, start the fan, light the burner and leave the room. See what happens.

I seriously doubt that 700 cfm is enough.

I'm not interested in electric, and also, if you are sucking air out, then, unless you have an airtight room, new air is coming in from somewhere. Right?

Yes, it could be well using the air you are breathing.

Also, if you use an appliance indoors that is not approved for that use, and have a problem, insurance likely won't cover damage.

Hikers in CO just died, possibly due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a heater inside a tent: http://gazette.com/sheriff-lightnin...gs-father-son-in-maroon-bells/article/1555746

It is not uncommon: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Educa...Center/Portable-Heaters--Camping-Equipment--/

I am sure you can use a detector, an exhaust fan, and maybe you'd be fine. But you're taking risks, no doubt, and no professional would recommend it.

One thing to consider is that though I'm sure the odds of a fire are very slim, so would the odds be of your insurance company paying the claim if there was a fire.
Go electric or go outside would be my advice.

I brewed in a garage in the winter on a propane burner in North Dakota because it is to cold to brew outside at -10-20 or your wort would never boil we were in a 3 car garage and had a window open with a fan and a standard exit door cracked to the outside and a detector and it was fine and the boil/beer kept us warm maybe not the smartest but it worked

Think it through.

Imagine how the article will read if things work out well: Man burns down house trying to brew beer inside.

If you're unlucky: Man dies of asphyxiation, and house burns down trying to brew beer inside.

This falls into the unwise, inadvisable and totally not worth the risk category.

Why would brewing outdoors in 115 degree heat be bad? Maybe do it in the shade, but you aren't going to have to be out there all that time.

It sounds like you could boil faster and more easily maintain mash temperatures.

I wouldn't even bother with a chiller, I'd fill a No Chill container and pitch the next day.

Why would brewing outdoors in 115 degree heat be bad? Maybe do it in the shade, but you aren't going to have to be out there all that time.

It sounds like you could boil faster and more easily maintain mash temperatures.

I wouldn't even bother with a chiller, I'd fill a No Chill container and pitch the next day.

So you've never been in 115 degree heat for long, have you?

So you've never been in 115 degree heat for long, have you?

When I was in Arizona.
It wasn't fun.
I do Brew in a bag so cleanup is minimal.
The only chore that takes any time at all is cleaning my brew pot and chiller.

But if you are able to have your rig set up the night before, so all you need to do is come out to heat the water, then go in.
Come out to add the grain and stir, then go in.
Come out to sparge, then go in.
Come out start the boil, then go in.
Take the mash tun in to clean.

Add hops , go in, repeat a few times.
Turn off the burner, fill up the No Chill container.

Then clean what needs to be cleaned outdoors.

Wouldn't each of these outdoor exposures (In the shade if you can set up a sun screen) be limited to 5 minutes? Not ideal but not like being out there for 45 minutes.

I do not know. Stuff can happen on brew day. It can happen quick.

In my case. One time a propane hose got too close to somehing hot, melted open and I came around to see a flame coming out of the hole in the hose and the flame was shooting out in a random direction. I am a pretty cautious guy. I will kill a burner before I walk away and do something in the house, keep a couple fire exstiguishers (sp?) around my brew rig, etc.

I am a right tool for the job kind of guy. And a follow the directions from the people who made the tool. If they say outdoor use only, that is the safe way to go. Again, why put your home and possibly your family at risk? For beer. I love beer. I love my family and my home more.

I would rather drink store bought beer than take the risk.

Run a 58,000 BTU burner in your kitchen and your kitchen will be 115F in a hurry.

As above... It'll most likely end up hotter inside than outdoors pretty quickly. And more likely than not it'll take a long time to clear that heat out... Bite the bullet and brew outside.

Invest in a misting fan (they are awesome in the heat!) (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawaiian-Breeze-18-OSC-Misting-Fan-3-Speed-Settings/33078153) and also a pop up canopy if you don't have any shade (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-9-Slant-Leg-Express-Canopy-Gazebo/22402171) and it will make brewing outside tolerable especially with an ice cold home brew.

But I agree, brewing with that many BTU's of propane indoors is very risky plus you'll be generating more heat in your house than outdoors.

Back