Pronunciation poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you say willamette?

• will- ah- MET

• will- AM- et

• WUH- lam- et

• NEVER- does not belong in MY beer!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I actually thought it was derived from French as well. The "correct" pronunciation is seeping into my speech, but it somehow just sounds more ignorant that way to me.

Its the French pronunciation of the native word...its like the game telephone. It gets changed slightly along the way

Yucatan is funny one. Its actually the spanish word for the answer the mayans gave them when they asked where they were....their answer really was "I dont understand you" in mayan.

I agree, but until I actually hear your voice that's what's going to be in my head any time I read something you post. You brought this upon yourself. ;)

nukebrewer said:
I agree, but until I actually hear your voice that's what's going to be in my head any time I read something you post. You brought this upon yourself. ;)

Come up and brew with me Sunday I can guarantee my voice sounds nothing like that!

It's amusing that over half the respondents to this poll are mispronouncing a place name, aka, a proper noun, and a couple of those who have mispronounced it yet been corrected are on this thread arguing why they way they say it is better.

Ego-centrism FTW.

Calichusetts said:
I know that its a native American word and that the chinook/kalapuya or other people in the area would not have spoken the word suggested in this post. As a person from Mass, with our amazing pronunciation, I can also attest to the irony of our state. Massachusetts is not what the natives called it, its our interpretation of their word. Some suggest the correct Mass pronunciation is closer to Mos-wet-u-set. (moss weyt u c-et)

WOW! I finally got to use my masters degree! Haha, so worth it. I often tell my students to just take any native american word two or three letters at a time.

"...actually it's pronounced "mealy-wal-Kay" meaning 'the good land'..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for putting that song in my head!

Anything to help. And what's wrong with warshington that's how its spelled right? Warshing machines warshcloths I'm failing to see a problem here.

See, the thing about that is, although English has silent letters, "al-u-min-ee-um" pronounces letters that aren't there. I don't care if they invented the language, the Brits are wrong on that one :D

But in British English, the letters are there: aluminium. Us Yanks just came by and said, "What what? Too many "I"s in this word!" And then removed superfluous vowels.

radiator,

Is is RAY-diator or RAD-iator? I read-ended a Pennsylvanian in a dense fog. He pointed out that my RADDY was steaming.

I always used a long A.

Are you just a sweet transvestite?

From transelvaneyaaaaa

Screenshot_2013-10-30-12-43-00-1.png

Well, I've been pronouncing it wrong but worse than that, I've been butchering the **** out of Hallertau.

It's better with beer.

Beer is a good option, but I was thinking a girlie froofroo drink would do as well. You know, something where your pinkie naturally rises as you take a sip. ... well, a gulp if you're watching this movie.

Y'know what? I'll just sip on a bottle of gin instead. That way I can say I 'watched' the movie, but won't remember enough of it to tell the tale.

watching it on DVD at home lounging on your couch is boring

you have to see it at a midnight movie along with a couple 100 other maniacs bringing props, acting it out, singing along & responding to lines

the way it was meant to be experienced

But in British English, the letters are there: aluminium. Us Yanks just came by and said, "What what? Too many "I"s in this word!" And then removed superfluous vowels.

I didn't realize that. Sounds about right though.

While we're criticizing each other's grammar, who pronounces Amarillo phonetically vs. the Spanish pronunciation?

GrogNerd said:
watching it on DVD at home lounging on your couch is boring

you have to see it at a midnight movie along with a couple 100 other maniacs bringing props, acting it out, singing along & responding to lines

the way it was meant to be experienced

Yes!

Come up and brew with me Sunday I can guarantee my voice sounds nothing like that!

Probably working that day. I haven't seen the schedule, but since I have Saturday off I more than likely am on the schedule for Sunday.

I didn't realize that. Sounds about right though.

While we're criticizing each other's grammar, who pronounces Amarillo phonetically vs. the Spanish pronunciation?

Depends. If I'm referring to the city in Texas, it's phonetic but if I am using the Spanish word for the color yellow, then it's as the Spaniards say it.

I pronounced it Wil-am-ET before visiting the area and overheard locals saying Wi-LAM-et.

It's all good. People mispronounce Kissimmee all the fricken time. Myself included before I moved to Orlando.
It's Kis-SIM-mee not KISS-i-mee.
"Come ovah heah and kiss a mee."

Almost as bad as people pronouncing Di-Acetyl and Ass-a-Taldehyde wrong. Especially the latter. there is no acetyl in acetaldehyde.

Latest posts

Back