Is there an audience for a TV show about a microbrewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you watch a TV show (hour dramedy) about the founding and operation of a microbrewery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I cannot imagine a more life disrupting paradigm than seeking family funding for a startup :oops:
The main character is against the idea, but they are unable to find other funding and so he very reluctantly agrees, but it turns out going against his better interests, just as he had feared.

maybe...probably not.

most of these type shows are lots of "fluff" and "drama" and very little real action or useful information.

Think "American Chopper"...you will learn nothing about building a bike. All you learn about is their family issues.

And every time they come back from commercial they just repeat what happened before the commercial...like you just tuned in and they have to get you caught up before they can proceed again.

maybe...probably not.

most of these type shows are lots of "fluff" and "drama" and very little real action or useful information.

Think "American Chopper"...you will learn nothing about building a bike. All you learn about is their family issues.

And every time they come back from commercial they just repeat what happened before the commercial...like you just tuned in and they have to get you caught up before they can proceed again.
Mike isn't proposing yet-another-reality-show, this appears to be a fictional drama with comedy elements.

maybe...probably not.

What I propose would make my show a drama would be the inherently dramatic situation that starting a business is for real people. There would of course be interpersonal dynamics to consider as well. My personal belief is that shows which aren't believable are second rate, so I've done everything I know to do to not go down that artificial action path. Might end up too slow for some people, but in the end I would hope it rings true across the board. Thanks for posting.

oh, I thought you were going to follow around a small micro brewery or brew pub and make it a show.

Watching the intimate details of a real, small scale startup brewing operation would be interesting to many of us.

I would watch to learn stuff.

A fictional show...not so much. There are plenty of identical shows out there. Just substitute "brewery" for any other business.

The plots are all the same...

My personal belief is that shows which aren't believable are second rate...
Sort of depends on whether the audience knows what's believable. My wife never really could tolerate any of the wildly successful medical shows for long because she knows too much real medicine. Many of my lawyer friends and relatives feel the same way about procedural courtroom dramas. But these shows obviously appealed to a mass audience given that they were wildly successful. Most of your audience isn't going to know a damned thing about running a brewery (or starting a real business for that matter), so your plots only need to be plausible to the uninformed. Of course, you still might feel that you were putting out a second-rate product because of your own knowledge of what's actually believable, but how much sleep are you going to lose over that if your show is wildly successful?

Sort of depends on whether the audience knows what's believable. My wife never really could tolerate any of the wildly successful medical shows for long because she knows too much real medicine. Many of my lawyer friends and relatives feel the same way about procedural courtroom dramas. But these shows obviously appealed to a mass audience given that they were wildly successful. Most of your audience isn't going to know a damned thing about running a brewery (or starting a real business for that matter), so your plots only need to be plausible to the uninformed. Of course, you still might feel that you were putting out a second-rate product because of your own knowledge of what's actually believable, but how much sleep are you going to lose over that if your show is wildly successful?
This is so true. I figure to hold myself to the highest standard I can and have the show ring true to experts. This is why I have contacts within the brewing community review all my writing for this particular project. I figure if I get beer brewers to sign off, then they will be more willing to help spread the word/make recommendations that people watch. Thank you for commenting!

As mentioned, I think the main issue is focus. If you remain true to brewing lore, homebrewers will be impressed/tickled by it but you would probably lose the masses. And vice versa. I stumbled on the Netflix series "Easy" and several episodes had James Franco and his brother brewing in the garage and then eventually opening a brewery. They made very few mistakes in the technical side of things and I appreciated that but my wife hated those episodes.

As mentioned, I think the main issue is focus. If you remain true to brewing lore, homebrewers will be impressed/tickled by it but you would probably lose the masses. And vice versa. I stumbled on the Netflix series "Easy" and several episodes had James Franco and his brother brewing in the garage and then eventually opening a brewery. They made very few mistakes in the technical side of things and I appreciated that but my wife hated those episodes.
There will be an emphasis on getting the brewing parts right, but the show isn't so much about a brewery as it is about people who run one, if that makes sense. It will be more far reaching than just watching brewers at work, to be sure. Thanks for posting!

I will be hooked if it’s themed like The Office but instead of a paper company it is a malt supplier/microbrewery

I will be hooked if it’s themed like The Office but instead of a paper company it is a malt supplier/microbrewery
Not quite the tone, but not far off. I’ve described how I think it could work by comparing it to Friends meets Six Feet Under. It’s about the people running the brewery as much so as about the company itself.

Company logo as it stands...

LOTS_LOGO_BADGE5-01.png

Several years ago, I got a call from a producer who was planning a reality show about homebrewers. They had got my name from the organizer of a competition I had recently "Ninkasi'd." I politely declined to partcipate. It didn't sound like the kind of show I would watch, let alone be in. Plus, I would have had to clean the house.

I voted maybe, as a dramedy could be interesting, i.e. I'd probably watch the first episode to check it out.

Several years ago, I got a call from a producer who was planning a reality show about homebrewers. They had got my name from the organizer of a competition I had recently "Ninkasi'd." I politely declined to partcipate. It didn't sound like the kind of show I would watch, let alone be in. Plus, I would have had to clean the house.

I voted maybe, as a dramedy could be interesting, i.e. I'd probably watch the first episode to check it out.
I fear you'll not be a fan of my would-be show. The young people setting out to open the brewery are fresh out of college and stuck in neutral. They have to figure out how to reprioritize things and then gain the confidence and momentum they need to run a business. I can't have that all happen in a single episode and come across as believable, unless I just jump ahead in time, but that would be to overlook all the interesting things they'd be doing during to get the place off the ground. Ultimately, it's a coming-of-age story in many respects, so it's a bit of a slow burn. But who knows, if it comes around, perhaps you'll give it a chance, which is all I can ask. Thanks for the post!

Last edited:
A important factor would be how well it is written and acted. If it were amusing and the brewing practices were realistic, or better yet informative, I'd watch it.

A important factor would be how well it is written and acted. If it were amusing and the brewing practices were realistic, or better yet informative, I'd watch it.
The good thing along those lines is that I have made many contacts across the industry willing to share ideas from actual experiences, and they also keep my technical writing realistic. PS - You might be a good candidate to read the script. Happy to send it to you. Just fill out the request on my project website: lotsbrewing.com

The two most important things!
It really doesn’t matter if it’s brewing, that’s a vehicle. It reminds me of talking to people who want to start a business because of their passion for something. While that’s important, it takes a backseat to “do you know anything about running a successful business?”

The writing is absolutely the single most important - make it break it - element. My current fav is Ozark. Really great writing in that.

It really doesn’t matter if it’s brewing, that’s a vehicle. It reminds me of talking to people who want to start a business because of their passion for something. While that’s important, it takes a backseat to “do you know anything about running a successful business?”

The writing is absolutely the single most important - make it break it - element. My current fav is Ozark. Really great writing in that.
I love Ozark! It’s not the most believable show, but the acting is great and the storylines compelling. The stakes are higher in that one than in mine, but the intent is to make LOTS BREWING be realistic and, therefore, identifiable. And my characters are much more sympathetic. I agree with your point about the show not being about brewing so much as about the people who run a brewery. I’ve said it before, so forgive my repetition, but it’s about a brewery in a way similar to Cheers being “about” a bar. Thank you for you post, and if you are willing to give the script a read to see what I mean for yourself, just reach out and I will gladly provide you a copy.

Sounds like they’ll be on the “How not to open a damn brewery” podcast in due course. Who doesnt love watching a trainwreck? Best of luck to them and your show!

Sounds like they’ll be on the “How not to open a damn brewery” podcast in due course. Who doesnt love watching a trainwreck? Best of luck to them and your show!
Funny you should say that as I’ve had dozens of brewers volunteer to share their mishaps with me. They will have their trials and tribulations (in and out of the workplace) for sure.

Funny you should say that as I’ve had dozens of brewers volunteer to share their mishaps with me. They will have their trials and tribulations (in and out of the workplace) for sure.
Its a real podcast. Worth a listen. Kind of interesting take on the industry. Not sure how much the failures really help others though. Mostly just a ***** fest. So far im amazed at how little business acumen or common sense most of the guests have. Its no wonder they all failed. The heyday of craft beer for beers sake is over. Its a completely different industry.

That being said. Im gonna open an all barleywine brewery. 😂

Back