Project complete: eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havoc531

Reaction score
Hey HBTers,

Long time reader but rarely a poster. I'm writing this to share my experience and result of my eBIAB journey. I won't go deep into the build detail, so any questions please just ask. Been brewing almost 8 years; started with extract, then went single-tier 3-keggle system, and just completed my eBIAB system. I think about the project in terms of the goal--more consistent product, shorter brew day, and small system footprint.

For that I went with single vessel BIAB, electric fired, PID controlled, recirculating mash. The vessel is a MegaPot 15g and the basis for the control system is the 1 PID 30a BIAB Kit from eBrewSupply. I'm an engineer with an advanced degree, spent years designing and building multi-million dollar manufacturing systems and honestly, this project was still a monster.

I'll skip right ahead to the build challenges:
POWER-- in the name of safety, the system MUST have a GFCI and my main breaker (SIEMENS QP-series) cannot accept a 30a 2-pole GFI, Siemens simply doesn't make one for the residential application. So I ended up adding a 2-pole 30a breaker, a 4-wire locking outlet, and locating a Spa panel GFI breaker in the control panel. To me this is a superior design because it allows me to move the panel anywhere with 30a 4-wire and not worry about GFI.
SIZE--fitting all the bits into the enclosure was like Operation / Tetris. Tip: buy a bigger enclosure than you think you need! I had to get very creative to fit everything in, and should I need to open it up to service or replace anything it would be near impossible.

So far I've brewed a DIPA, Imperial Red, ESB, and a dark wheat. I was having a problem with fermentability because I overshot the dough-in temp to start the mash, but things seem to have stabilized and now I'm making good beer!

Anyone thinking about building an electric brewery, my advice is JUST BUY IT. The value of time and energy taken to design and build this far exceeds, in my mind, what I could have just bought and been brewing with on day one. This may be a shock (forgive the pun) to the eBrew forum but I do believe consumers have good choices for pre-built and in most cases it would be smarter to go that route. A few pics below. Happy to take pics of other details.

Hopefully readers can learn from my mistakes here!

Before anyone asks, yes those guys are twins, and no I'm not one of them :D

The bag shape works fine for pulling out of mash, just have to be careful not to let it touch the sides of the brewpot or the wort will run down the side. I did tear the bag slightly as I had a 35lb grain bill and it caught on the kettle side port; now I put a spoon over that port so it doesn't catch when I hoist the bag out.

Latest posts

Back