Prohibition era brewing artifact.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413498427.504176.jpg Found this neat can hidden inside of a wall in downtown Manhattan KS. The can is dated 1928. Found out Puritan Malt merged with Pabst in 1930.

"Hop Flavored"! :) Just in case you want to add hop flavoring to the candy making you're doing.

Thanks for the pics - I love that old stuff!

Does anybody realize that brewing beer at home was technically illegal up into the 70's.......... though the head of household could legally brew 200 gallons of wine per year for home use. When I first started home brewing, this was in effect, and interestingly hop flavoring was common in malt syrup, which supposedly was for general household sweetening. It's rather funny that this pretense was kept up when everybody knew it was being used to brew beer. It was illegal to brew.....but it was legal to sell hop flavored malt syrup, and brewer's yeast. The silly games we play!!

At 15, I took my father's car to the beer distributor's in Portland, Or, and bought large quantities of beer at wholesale prices, paying with a personal check on my own account, and providing my driver's license for ID. At less than $3 per case for so called "premium" beer, $50 went a LONG way. The minimum order was 4 cases. I walked in with a list, and typically bought at least 16 cases. I suspect they just assumed my dad owned a bar. How many 15 year old's had a checking account and bought $50+ worth of beer in 1969?? Little did they know my dad was a Baptist, Ordained as a preacher, and a tea teetotaler. Not a drop of alcohol passed through our house except what I secretly bought an brewed (beer and wine). I even distilled whiskey. I was a very bad boy, but I never got caught!

H.W.

I wonder if "Copyright 1928" means that it was actually made and sold in 1928, or that the name was copyrighted in 1928 and the can is newer...

Yowsah! ... is that Little Red Riding Hood on the front of that can? Puritan, uh huh.
(... who's that I see walking in these woods? ... why, it's Little Red Riding Hood ... )
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_FA85RO89HA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a cool find. I think it's neat that you can see where someone opened it with an old hand held can opener.

Cool that you found it with the label intact! Great find. I remember mom using that stuff in pastries. She worked in a bakery in Lakewood as a young lad, so she really knew her stuff.

Latest posts

Back