Programing a Love TSS2-2100

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
I have a Love TSS2-2100 controller for my keezer wired up using information from this thread, with a single temp probe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love-temp-controller-series-ts-wiring-diagram-2008-a-88369/

Instead of cutting wires I decided to install a double gang box on the back of my keezer so I can just plug stuff in and run the wires thru a hole in the collar. One of the outlets is wired up as always live for things like the fan I intend to install to circulate cool air up into the collar, the other is wired in a split configuration (brass tabs removed) where each outlet is wired to one of the two controller relays.

Now that I have it wires up I am trying to program the unit based on my needs and this is where I am running into problems.

I want to maintain a temp around 42-43 degrees so my intention is to plug the freezer into the outlet that is wired to SP1/relay 1 to control the compressor to keep this temp. I am also going to use a small reptile heater plugged into the outlet that is wired to SP2/relay 2 so that during the winter if the temp drops below 42 the heater will kick on to prevent freezing.

I spoke with a Dwyer tech support person who was great at helping me understand the different programming options but not so good at assisting me with how best to program the unit to fit my needs.

I have the unit wired for normally open and I expect relay 1 to be closed because its set to 42 and its above that temp however it appears that both relays are now closed and I imagine its because I am making some error in how I have the controller programmed.

Can anyone help with the programming?

Thanks!!
David

I have a TSS2 on it's way for my Fermenteezer. I spent a few hours yesterday trying to figure you how to program it before it gets here. I wanted to be able to just change one set point and have the heater setpoint dependent on the cooling set point. Two threads here really helped me, that and having the programing instructions printed out in front of me. I now have a plan to program my controller. Check out these threads and have your instructions in front of you.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love-tss2-2100-programming-help-112303/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/temperature-controller-box-portable-solution-128443/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/love-tss2-programming-neutral-area-mode-212277/

Here's a thread I posted re: Neutral area mode w/ my TSS2 fermenteezer (hehe that's a a funny word...). I set SP1 to the set point and then SP2 is the 'margin of error' so to speak of like say 1.5 degrees. So, that way the thermal mass of the fermenter won't make a continual pass off between the freezer and the heater. It's working great for me, but as Claudius noted, not the only option. (Seriously, I do think they changed the programming characteristics of neutral area mode in the past year or so).

If I'm set at 64* and SP2 is 1.5, there is a temperature swing of 1.5 degrees in between when the freezer shuts off and the heater turns on and vice versa. You can set the SP2 to whatever is the minimum amount that you can and also prevent the continual power hand-off which would burn out the compressor.

Just 2 things slightly off topic to consider:

1) I mounted my TSS2 on the slotted removable door that covers the compressor hump. The only 2 wires that come out the back of the freezer and go into the back of the collar are the probe and heat source plug. Very clean (I hate wires) and easy to install. Just not at 'bling' height. (but you did say you already built a box... so anyhoo)

2) My sanke and corny (15g) chambers heat up very well enough with a light bulb as the heat source. I'm getting well into the highest Saison temps you'd need. I use a silicone covered 'work light' that's more bump proof than a bare light. Seriously, 100w bulb was actually too hot and I went down to 75w. I just figure I don't want hot air cooking the krausen on the fermenter on the inside, and possibly imparting flavors. Rather, I put the light bulb at mid fermenter height and it's touching the keg, so convection is handling all the heat. Dunno, just a thought.

I have a Love TSS2-2100

Now that I have it wires up I am trying to program the unit based on my needs and this is where I am running into problems.
Can anyone help with the programming?
Thanks!!
David

If you still need help send me a PM with all the parameters.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Thanks for responses, ClaudiusB a PM has been sent. I was able to get SP1 working as expected however it appears the 2nd relay tied to SP2 is always hot no matter what setting I change. I even switched from open to closed and the relay didn't budge.

Back