Profit Estimate Guideline Spreadsheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
Ive been brewing Mead for a while now and there is a much higher demand than there was, a ton of my friends love mead, and same with family. I would like to get to a spoint where I can run a small operation to cover costs, Its still a hobby so I dont need to make a living off it it yet.

I have put together a spreadsheet in google sheets and wondering if anyone could take a look at tell me if you see anything off about it or if there are huge holes or crazy wrong math and such.

Ive been working on it for so long Im not making any more progress because I keep going over the same stuff over and over.

Please and thanks if you can take a look, Extra points if you can help me add stuff that I havent thought of yet!

Click Here for the spreadsheet

For tracking your home mazing expenses, that looks good to me. Are you buying one bucket per month until you have the full compliment of buckets you need?

While I empathize with your desire to make your hobby sort-of commercial, legally it is either one or other. If you moved to the commercial, where you were selling your mead, you'd have a lot more you'd need to add in there - including taxes and licenses needed to sell mead.

In Illinois, you can't have your brewery in your home - licensed breweries have to be in a place of business, not connected to a residence. I suspect that changes state by state, but at least here, that would be a whole other tier of expenses.

For tracking your home mazing expenses, that looks good to me. Are you buying one bucket per month until you have the full compliment of buckets you need?

While I empathize with your desire to make your hobby sort-of commercial, legally it is either one or other. If you moved to the commercial, where you were selling your mead, you'd have a lot more you'd need to add in there - including taxes and licenses needed to sell mead.

In Illinois, you can't have your brewery in your home - licensed breweries have to be in a place of business, not connected to a residence. I suspect that changes state by state, but at least here, that would be a whole other tier of expenses.

In Oregon you can have your meadery at home if your house is located in an industrial / residential district. That does not apply to me, but I found a room with a loft for about 400 per month that wouldnt be a bad place. It would be capable of around 350 gallons per month

Back