Process question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingbrewer70

Reaction score
I was having a discussion with a friend who has brewed a while and he says he starts the boil clock just as beer begins to boil not after the hot break. when do y'all start the boil clock?

Since about 90% of the bittering occurs within the first 30 minutes it probably doesn't make much difference when you start the clock unless you are planning a very short boil. I usually start the clock on mine when I add the bittering hops which I do after the hot break because the hop pellets seem to make a boil over more likely if I add them before or during the hot break.

I start the boil clock when the hot break layer opens up, and rolls of boiling water begin to appear and spread. That's when I add my first bittering dose (assuming a 60 min boil).

After the hot break dissipates for me. I'm always scared that if I chuck my 60 minute hops in when the hot break is still high then my kettle will turn into a volcano :D

I start it whenever I got tired of waiting :p Usually just go ahead and start it at 209 degrees if I'm doing a 60 minute or longer boil.

Yeah, we're talking a difference of just a few minutes here. My "boil" usually runs for somewhere between 45min and 60min... I don't even really watch the exact duration that closely because a few minutes here or there in that time window just doesn't matter much.

when it comes to a boil, after the hot break, etc. shouldn't really matter. What matters is that you set the timer to your first hop addition. There are many people, especially on this forum, who are proving that the wort doesn't really need to boil too long in order to get rid of the dms precursors. So the timing of the boil at that point is all about the hops.

Latest posts

Back