Problems with Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winzerz

Reaction score
well just got back from a Dr visit

it seems my yeast have given me yeast as in infection

no not my beer but ME !!!

I will not be able to drink any beer for three weeks (SOB) while I go thru treatment

seems the little runts gave me an infection in my mouth, throat, and lungs

damm the luck

so all you guys have fun drinking yer homebrew

:mad:

OK sorry about your health but I'm confused. Are you saying that you got a yeast infection from drinking your homebrew?

OK sorry about your health but I'm confused. Are you saying that you got a yeast infection from drinking your homebrew?

yes that is what the Doc believes gave it to me

never had a problem like this before

and is is a common childhood problem Thrush

most adults do not get it

yes that is what the Doc believes gave it to me

never had a problem like this before

and is is a common childhood problem Thrush

most adults do not get it
WOW very bad luck. Won't this inhibit drinking beer in the future though with the possibility of its return?

I have been drinking beer most of my life

but was put on a med that lowers my bodys ability to fight infection

the GP Doc told me to take it up with the specalist who put me on that med

funny thing also I just read about this on an FDA site and the drugs website

about this med causing fungal infections in people who use this drug

and discussed it with the specalist

last time I saw him

he did not feel I was in any danger

boy will I give him an earfull on monday

Thrush can be caused by a number of things. Were you taking any antibiotics?

Oral thrush is an infection of yeast fungus, Candida albicans, in the mucous membranes of the mouth. Hasn't anything to do with brewing yeast.

Yea, I doubt brewers yeast would give you any infection. No matter what strain you use, all brewers yeast is Saccharomyces cerevisiae (if its an ale strain). I'm not a doctor, but I don't think there is any way this type of yeast can cause an infection in humans. Some people are allergic to brewers yeast, but thats a different story.

Plus, by the time you drink homebrew, most of the yeast in the bottle has flocculated and is dormant in the bottom of the bottle. I'd be more likely to believe your meds made you susceptible to some other yeast/bacteria that has caused this infection.

Oral thrush is an infection of yeast fungus, Candida albicans, in the mucous membranes of the mouth. Hasn't anything to do with brewing yeast.

+1. I don't think your Dr. knows anything about yeast and beer making. Did you tell him you homebrew? He probably made some assumptions about beer/yeast that shouldn't have been made.

Edit: you should get to the bottom of what could have caused this. It wasn't the beer. I don't even think C. albicans can survive in beer. Did the Dr. culture a sample? Make sure it's not fungal lung.

Your doctor's fos....you can't get one strain of a yeast infection from another strain of yeast...He's making a medical diagnose based on his own ignorance, and not even bothering to look things up in books, or even PUBMED, which would have given him/her information quite the contrary to what he/she diagnosed...and that is a pretty scary thought.

Yeasts of the Candida genus are another group of opportunistic pathogens which causes oral and V@ginall infections in humans, known as Candidiasis. Candida is commonly found as a commensal yeast in the mucus membranes of humans and other warm-blooded animals. However, sometimes these same strains can become pathogenic. Here the yeast cells sprout a hyphal outgrowth, which locally penetrates the mucosal membrane, causing irritation and shedding of the tissues.[47] The pathogenic yeasts of candidiasis in probable descending order of virulence for humans are: C. albicans, C. tropicalis, C. stellatoidea, C. glabrata, C. krusei, C. parapsilosis, C. guilliermondii, C. viswanathii, C. lusitaniae and Rhodotorula mucilaginosa.[48] Candida glabrata is the second most common Candida pathogen after C. albicans, causing infections of the urogenital tract, and of the bloodstream (Candidemia).[49]

That has nothing to do with Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is used in brewing AND bread making...Did he suggest you not eat bread?

From one of 5 sites I looked up Thrush on, all said the same thing....(which your doctor should have consulted)

Episodes are best managed with an appropriate antifungal medication - diet usually has little impact on this type of problem. The yeast that is used for baking (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) has nothing to do with the yeast that causes yeast infections (Candida albicans). The two have no more in common than a house cat would have with a tiger - they`re both cats, but their ability to do harm is very different.

Now unless you drank that beer made from that womans pu##Y yeast that was advertised awhile back, and it wasn't pasturized, or drank from a beer bottles that was stuck somewhere you don't want to contemplate, you more than likely got thrush from having your mouth elsewhere....I can understand the doc saying stay away from alcohol while taking the antibiotics, but saying it caused it is coming from the same mentality as believes you can go blind from it....

If we could get Thrush from Homebrew (or any beer at all) then there wouldn't be a hobby such as this...

I'll quote something I found a year ago, posted on another site by a microbiologist who also was a homebrewer, nothing that can make you sick, can grow in beer;

Can you get a PATHOGEN from beer. No. NO *NO* Did I make that clear? You have a ZERO chance of pathogens in beer, wine, distilled beverages. PERIOD!

Pathogens are described as organisms that are harmful and potentially life threatening to humans. These are some 1400+ known species overall encompasing viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and helminths. Of that group, we are only interested in those that can be foodborne. Quite simply, if it can't survive in food, it isn't in beer. That knocks out all but bacteria and fungi. Viruses need very specific circumstances to be passed around... like on the lip of a glass or bottle, not the beer in it. **Ahhh...CHOOO!**

Pathogens as a rule are very fastidious beasts. Meaning that they want very specific temperatures, acidity, nutrients and other conditions to thrive.

Bacteria that *could* live in wort, cannot survive even a little bit of fermentation. There are several reasons for this. One is in the 'magic' of hops. It is the isomerized alpha acids that provide a preservative effect to the beer, which happens to inhibit pathogens! Good deal for fresh wort!

Another reason is the drop in pH from fermentation. Next, yeast emit their own enzymes and byproducts, all in an effort to make the environment hostile to other creatures. The major one is alcohol, of course, but their enzymes will break down less vigorous organisms and they become sources of trace nutrition. Now the latter is very minor compared to the effect of alcohol, but it exists! Most of the time these enzymes work on the wort, not organisms until late in the process. Good deal for beer! ...uh, wine too.

Oh, Botulism specifically... did you know that this is an anaerobic pathogen? It's toxin is one of the few that is broken down by boiling. Did you know tht it is strongly inhibited by isomerized alpha acids, even in water? Since fresh wort has a healthy amount of oxygen in it, the beastie cannot even get started, then once the O2 is used up, it doesn't have a chance against the hops or the yeast.

All that is left are a handful of acid producing bacteria that'll ruin a batch of beer. Overall, there are less than 200 organisms that can survive in beer and lend flavor effects. None of these for very long, or very often. Lambic being the sole exception, and if pathogens *could* survive, that'd be the style where you find 'em.

I've worked in medical education for 2o years on and off, if that were the case, I would have come upon the info at some point, especially since I work with a Biochemist who uses S. cerevisiae in here research.... If your doc believes some inane nonsense like that you need to get a second opinion, or find a new doctor.

If you are going to give the doc an earful on monday ask him to show you the PUBMED info linking Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Candida albicans that he/she used to make that diagnosis, and prescribe medication to you based on...

More than likely they don't exist....And if that's the case, then wow...you are probably like a one in a million person to have that problem, and your doctor is House incarnate and good for him..but I betcha it's more that he/she didn't pay too much attention during immuno/micro and biochem.

Good Luck, and get better soon...

:mug:

Dr. Papinquack here, I may not be the brightest lightning bug in the forest but does your woman have a yeast infection? Alot of couples pass them back and forth without even realizing it. Usually its the male who doesn't show symptoms and keeps passing it back to the woman.

so wheres the batch of beer that proves you CAN ferment beer with a womans vajayjay?has it happened? is it under experimentation? should I lift my boobs and take some funk and try to ferment beer with it? comon people....... examples...

Back