Problem with cooling after mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I want to brew tomorrow but have a lunch appointment that will cut the day up. Can't fit a whole brew session before or after, unfortunately.

I was thinking of mashing before lunch, running, then returning for a boil after lunch. Any problem with letting the runnings cool before the boil?

Another option is to put in the mash, and just let it sit for however long I'll be gone. Are there any ill effects to mashing for 2 hours instead of 1?

I want to brew tomorrow but have a lunch appointment that will cut the day up. Can't fit a whole brew session before or after, unfortunately.

I was thinking of mashing before lunch, running, then returning for a boil after lunch. Any problem with letting the runnings cool before the boil?

Another option is to put in the mash, and just let it sit for however long I'll be gone. Are there any ill effects to mashing for 2 hours instead of 1?

Option 2 is what I would do every time if I had the time. You will have some highly fermentable wort when you drain. Depending on the recipe of course.:mug:

That isn't necessarily true is it? As long as your temps are relatively stable then you shouldn't have too much of a difference. Most conversion happens within the first half hour or so anyway. I would go with option 2 and just leave it in the MLT.

I let my mashes sit for about 12 hours (mash overnight in coolers). You'll be fine if you let your mash sit while you are gone in a vessel that is insulated well. If you don't have that option, go ahead an mash and let the runnings cool.

as an experiment, i made a cream ale where i mashed in at about 160. let it sit overnight (about 8 hours), and it cooled to about 148. boiled as normal. came out tasty.

I've done method one and it worked out just fine. The only negative is that it'll take a little longer to get it to a boil.

Back