problem with Bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sp1cer

Reaction score
Hi,

Made two batches of cider before and was making my third today when halfway through it told me I needed to put an airlock on it (its Magnum Pear Cider)

So in a panic my husband drove over an hour to our closest homebrew shop where they sold him a 5 gallon plastic demijohn with a bung and airlock. He got home and there was no lid for the airlock and the bung has 3 holes in it.

Help! :) What do I do

Thanks

Pam

Is there any way to plug the other two holes? Did it come with caps or plugs for the holes? Your airlock should fit nicely into one hole, but I've never seen bungs or stoppers with more than two holes.

Hi,

It never came with a cap for the airlock or any caps for the bung - I called the shop I got them from and the woman said she never knew if she gave my husband the right stuff or not to call back the owner at 4pm.

Thing is Im halfway through making my homebrew and was wondering what could I use to fill in the other two holes and for a substitute cap for the airlock.

Any ideas really appreciated!

Having a cap on your airlock isn't really necessary. It mostly serves to keep out fruitflies or ants or any other littly buggers you might have. You could easily sanitize a bit of tinfoil or plastic wrap and use that if you like, or just leave it off if bugs aren't a problem.

IMHO, the best thing you could do for your cider right now is to just put a piece of sanitized tinfoil over the opening on your demijohn/carboy, and not worry about the stopper or the airlock for now. That thought always freaks people out (it did for me at first) but it works just fine. When you get time to get back over to your LHBS, you can pick up a new stopper with only one hole, and get them to replace the lif to your airlock. :mug:

Back