Problem with Brew Magic maintaining heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We purchased a used Sabco Brew Magic and it worked great for a few brews, then we started having problems. Went back and forth with Sabco and ended up replacing the heating element and the thermocoupler. When that didn't fix it we replaced the relay on Sabco's advice, and that finally fixed it for about 20-30 brews. Just yesterday the problem started happening again. Basically, we'll get the mash temp to where we want it, then turn the mash burner off and let the element maintain temp. However, after 2-3 minutes the temperature has dropped and we have to turn the mash burner back on again. This is a huge pain in the ass when you're going for consistency from batch to batch and even more so when you have kegs to clean, sanitize and fill with beer while you're mashing.

Has anyone else ever ran into this issue? We've replaced nearly everything in this unit and I'm starting to get frustrated.

I have the same issue. I ended up wrapping the MT with a bubble wrap radiant barrier to help insulate and maintain temp. I haven't contacted Sabco yet as I never think about it during the week. Kinda pissed that the system has these issues. I verified continuity on the relay that controls the heat exchanger.

I'll make it a point to contact them this week and let you know what I find out. I agree it sucks ass watching the MT and burner during most of the mash.

I'm currently looking at a used Brew Magic from 2011. I'm curious about this issue and what it's cost you to try to fix. Have to determine if this unit may be too old?

Regards,

Adam

Seems like it has to be either the relay malfunctioning, a bad element or low voltage supply. Is the PID relay closed? Shouldn't be too difficult to troubleshoot.
Have you considered consulting an electrician or an instrument tech?

Latest posts

Back