Problem? Waiting on bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cknittle

Reaction score
So I have an amber ale waiting in secondary, the only reason it's there is so I got familiar with the process as it was my first brew, but it's been in there for 2 and a half weeks now because I'm waiting for bottles. My brother works at a bar and is collecting them for me, but it's a slow process because I the amount of bottles that are twist off. Will it be alright for another week or so before going to bottle? Will I have to repitch so it will carb?

So I have an amber ale waiting in secondary, the only reason it's there is so I got familiar with the process as it was my first brew, but it's been in there for 2 and a half weeks now because I'm waiting for bottles. My brother works at a bar and is collecting them for me, but it's a slow process because I the amount of bottles that are twist off. Will it be alright for another week or so before going to bottle? Will I have to repitch so it will carb?

I don't see any reason you can't continue to age the brew in your secondary. The added patience usually pays off with a better beer actually.

Someone else will have to comment on repitching some yeast for carbing. If you're REALLY uncertain, there's really no harm in adding a few grams of dry yeast at the priming stage. Remember the carbonation is really limited by the sugars the yeast can eat, so you have full control even if you add an undetermined amount of yeast. Some might say, better safe than sorry. Others will probably tell you that even after 3 weeks there'll be enough yeast in suspension to give you carbonation.

12oz bottles are about $0.50 a pop from the LHBS. Not a huge cost for the investment in my experience, but I suppose it's a matter of principle. You could probably supplement your current recycled supply with 24 bottles. It'll give you more time at least to collect more for your next brew.

You can leave it in the secondary for months without the need of re-pitching.

Also, a good free way to get bottles is to go to the recycling center.

+1 to both of the above posts. When you transfer to your bottling bucket it will re-suspend some of the yeast as it is lightly remixed. Shouldn't have any problems at all. Just remember to use the right amount of sugar depending on the type, corn, dme, etc.

Sweet! Thanks for the responses. I was worried I'd have to add a bunch and go buy a bunch of bottles. They aren't cheap around here.

Have you asked people at work? A lot of people drink beer....

When I ran short a while back and didn't feel like buying any more I just talked to a couple of people at work and soon had more bottles than I knew what to do with.

Have you asked people at work? A lot of people drink beer....

When I ran short a while back and didn't feel like buying any more I just talked to a couple of people at work and soon had more bottles than I knew what to do with.

+1 I now have 6-8 cases of bottles from people at work. Free.

If you need bottles...start drinking.

I got my first four cases of bottles by drinking a lot of SA Noble Pils. Got the bottles I needed and had a great time doing it. Not the cheapest way to do it but it definitely works.

Another good source is Craigs List. I have scored numerous amber 12oz and Grolsch bottles for bargain prices. Best part is that they are usually already delabled. Search under beer bottles.

You're going to need more bottles if you plan on aging and brewing at the same time.

Sam Adams brand bottles aren't very expencive and they put free beer in them.

My very first aged batch I left in the secondary for almost 6 months and I just threw in corn sugar and it carbed up fine by itself so you have time

No I did not add any sugar to secondary when I siphoned from primary.

wow your brother works at the wrong bar.

One I frequent serves virtually no twist offs. Big craft brew bar.

Getting a few cases of bottles for your first brew just requires some crativity.

Raid the dumpster behind a good bar.
Take your dogs for a walk on trash day and raid your neighbors recycling bins.
Have a party and tell everyone to bring craft brew.
Tell everyone you know to save bottles for you.

Eventually you will have more bottles than you need

SNPA and Sam Adams have great bottles and easy to de-label.

Yes the SNPA labels just peel off after soaking for a few days, and the label glue is really mild and comes off really easy too. Def my favorite bottle to recycle and the beer is good too! :mug:

Twist offs work great and you won't feel bad about tossing them when you're done. I cap mine with a wing capper like I would any other bottle.

Latest posts

Back