problem from aging in plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I just opened a 1 gal bottle of cider that had aged 3-4 months in a plastic apple juice bottle. It is slightly "vinagery." Not bad, but enough to make me want to avoid this in the future. This is the first time I've had such a problem, but it is also the first time I have left anything in plastic longer than time to ferment.

I read somewhere that even food grade plastic is O2 permeable? But if so, how can you keep juice in it for months on end?

Most plastic bottles are somewhat O2 permeable. Also, with age and acidity, they will break down, releasing chemicals into contents. I recommend glass bottles or stainless steel kegs.

Back when I spent a lot of time in VT, I used to make hard cider in Canadian whisky barrels, and bottled all the contents, mostly sparking, in champagne bottles. It was a lot of work, but it aged well. Some of the cider/meads even improved over the course of couple years.

I age mine in PET plastic carboys for a year, and never had any problems. It's ok to use plastic if it says PET on the bottom.

I feel the problem is not fully related to the plastic, but yes PET is better than HDPE. Avoid any other designations.

I have kept wines in PET carboys for that long or longer without issue.

Having just started making cider last Dec 1st....all of mine goes right back into the 1gal plastic jugs the juice came from and I haven't had any issues to this point. Mine all go right into fridge after cold crashing primary & racking.

Cheers & Good Luck [emoji111][emoji111]
S04Batch5gal.jpeg

I think I have figured out the problem with that batch. I used some marshiano cherries to try to add cherry taste, and I think they had been contaminated by "little fingers." That would explain why only that batch turned off.

A related question. Since the cider is "vinagary," does it still have alcohol? It seems to have a little when I drank a glass. Anyone know?

The change form alcohol to vinegar is a gradual process, so yes, it could taste vinegary and have some alcohol.

Thanks, I guess I need to finish it off quickly :)

Or let it go all the way over and use it in salads and other cooking. At some point the vinegar gets a little much, but there are some old re hydration drinks that were commonly made, in part, by old vinegary cider or beer. Check out switchel:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjemvKS66TcAhVKTd8KHTq3DLQQFggvMAI&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchel&usg=AOvVaw11wpkNgoiJgXvud_1b9pK5

The good stuff probably still had some alcohol in it.

The Spanish drink a Sidre that is on the edge of being a vinegar, and they pour it through the air from the carafe to each individual cup. This process takes a lot of the vinegar "edge" off as it aerates while falling at least two feet during the pouring and the splashing into the cup.

Back