Problem carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trebor678

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been having problems getting carbonation with my cider. I've bottled my cider at 1.015 with a little priming sugar into swing top bottles (1/2 teaspoon per bottle) after cold crashing to make it clear. I've also been using a plastic bottle as a test. The plastic bottle became very hard in about a day, so I opened it and got quite a lot of carbonation out of it. So I put the bottles into the fridge for 2/3 days. Then I took them out to cool, ready for pasteurisation. But when I opened one of them to check before continuing, there was very little carbonation at all!

Am I doing something wrong? Should I not be putting the bottles into the fridge before pasteurising?

Rob

Also, when I pasteurise the bottles, they start to fizz while in the pot! Is this normal?

I don't stove top pasteurize, but I wonder if those swing top gaskets are failing when you are pasteurizing them. I would think traditional crown caps would be the way to go. Maybe someone who has used them successfully can speak up.

Back