probiotic coconut drink as a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seraphorist

Reaction score
so i am attempting to make a sour, i'm calling it a flander's red, but who knows. i drink this delicious drink that i get from the health food store all the time, so it's always on hand, and i noticed that a majority of the probiotics are lacto...somethings (i didn't realize there were so many strains of it until now), so i decided to pitch it in a brew. what self respecting curious brewer wouldn't? i figure, i love how this stuff tastes... i love how beer tastes... why not?

i'm not sure what the other bugs will do, leuconostic?, kluyveromyces??, and sacchromyces (which i have heard of in reference to brewing, but can't remember if it's good or bad).

i added a couple Tbsp to each gallon 3 days ago (pictures are of it today). so far it looks promising. looks like a lacto infected brew to me at least.

just thought i would share this experiment with you all. thoughts... opinions?

100_7296.JPG

100_7295.JPG

100_7297.JPG

I think I may have started with a mini mash, but sure why not?

Sacchromyces cerevisiae is the species of yeast used to make beer and bread. You have Sacchromyces unisporus, I have no idea what that is.

I know that some of the Lactos you have listed there are used in cheese production. Not sure how that'll factor into this.

Hope it works out well, don't forget to post your results!

i've done the same experiment with kefir grains. i got mostly lacto sourness without much else goin on.

i was actually planning on doing a nice write up on my experiment, but i was a little disapointed in it so far, so i haven't posted anything yet. i'm still hoping i can get a little more complexity with an extended bottle aging, but i don't expect too much.

Back