Probably not a new question, But.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Late hop addition V.S. Dry hopping?

Seems to me that late hop addition does very little. Not enough time for bitterness extraction and too little time in contact with the wort for flavor extraction.

Currently sampling my first Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. The hop fragrance seems to be missing. All the recipes that I found did late hop additions. I feel it needs to be dry hopped after sampling my first batch. Granted it is only 10 days in the bottle, but just not getting the same fragrance.

NOTE: Still a very good homebrew. I do like it, just not as close to SNPA as I am shooting for.

Thanks,

John

dry hopping definitely brings you more aroma, but late hop additions are where you get your flavor from. unless you're talking about flameout adds, which is mostly aroma, but they bring something different than dry hopping does. what clone did you do? every SNPA clone i've seen has a dry hop

Looking at recipes from Brew365.com and Hopville.com. Also looking at Sierra Nevada's web site. They mention dry hopping with Magnum, crystal and citra for Torpedo, but nothing for SNPA. I have found some recipes that dry hop SNPA but have avoided them because there was no mention on Sierra's web page.

From my past dry hopping experiences, It seems to me that what you have to say dcp27 is right on target, but I have read that late hop additions can be just as good. I am not finding that to be true. That is the reason for my question. I am looking for opinions from other home brewers as to whether or not late hop addition provides the same effect as dry hopping. I feel that late hops (flame out) adds to flavor but not aroma.

John

From my past dry hopping experiences, It seems to me that what you have to say dcp27 is right on target, but I have read that late hop additions can be just as good. I am not finding that to be true. That is the reason for my question. I am looking for opinions from other home brewers as to whether or not late hop addition provides the same effect as dry hopping. I feel that late hops (flame out) adds to flavor but not aroma.

John

I definitely feel that dryhopping doesn't replace late hops. I do quite a few IPAs and APAs with 5 minute and flame out hop additions. Dryhopping adds quite a bit, too, but it's not the same to me as the late hopping. Leaving out one or the other makes a difference!

It'd be great if one brewer did three batches- one without the late hops, one with the late hopping but not dryhopping, and one with both. I feel that the one with both would be be best, and there were be noticeable differences.

I saw somewhere on here a chart showing that the optimal boil time for aroma additions was like 8 minutes, whereas 0 minutes was very sub-optimal. I haven't got a chance to try this yet, but I always found a 0 minute addition to fall way short of my expectations.

I definitely feel that dryhopping doesn't replace late hops.

This.

I let my late/flameout additions sit in the hot wort for about 10 minute before the chiller gets turned on, where it can take another 5-10 minutes to come out of the 'hop tea' temp range. I've compared with a friend who turns the chiller on right at flameout and my beers had more hop character. I have my notes from that beer. Next time I brew it I'll go easy on late hops and heavy on dry hops and report back. I predict the vegetal character of over dry hopping to be ugly, and not as refined as the steep-after-knockout method.

Currently sampling my first Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. The hop fragrance seems to be missing. All the recipes that I found did late hop additions. I feel it needs to be dry hopped after sampling my first batch. Granted it is only 10 days in the bottle, but just not getting the same fragrance.

Personally, I think it depends on which hops you're using and what kind of hop presence you're looking for. It's still not agreed what particular compounds found in hops actually add to hop aroma. Whatever you do, you should at least have balance between bittering and aroma. Just anecdotally, I've found that if I'm looking to get a full grassy hop nature (like Bells Two Hearted) then I'll have quite a bit of late hop additions. If I'm looking for a more citrusy pine nature (like Victory Hop Devil), then I'll focus on dry hopping.

I brewed an snpa clone when I first started brewing and dry hopped with cascades..turned out great..really close to the original...

I bought the SNPA clone from AHS and it had 1oz Perle @ 60, 1 oz Cascade @15, .5 oz Cascade @ 0, and .5 oz Cascade dry hopped.

Thanks all. You have given me plenty to chew on (or drink on). I do think what is missing in this batch is dry hops. I just repeated the batch with a few modifications. I mashed at 4 degrees higher to get more body and added .5 lbs of carapils. I also plan to dry hop at the 18 day point in the primary with .5 to 1 oz cascade. Cold crash from day 19 to day 21, then bottle. I should have results around March 1.

Thanks all for the help.

Back