Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RookieBrew

Reaction score
Hey all, quick question about priming: I know generally 3/4 cup of corn syrup is recommended for priming for bottling. What is the equivilant if I was to use light DME?

Thanks!

Quick, eh? Ask and you shall receive.

1.25 cups of DME per five gallon batch.

BTW: it is corn sugar that is recommended at 3/4 cup.

So I just went looking around at recepies and cant actually find any that prime with corn syrup, they all prime with corn sugar (whoops). Am I totally screwed?

RookieBrew said:
So I just went looking around at recepies and cant actually find any that prime with corn syrup, they all prime with corn sugar (whoops). Am I totally screwed?

I'm sure a few people use corn syrup from time to time, but I don't know the ratio. For the little bit of sugar that goes into priming, regular table sugar will work without causing a cidery taste. Boil 3/4 of a cup in a cup of water, or use the DME at 1 1/4 cups.

I boiled up 3/4 cup corn syrup with some water, I am just hoping this isnt much higher in sugar content than corn sugar (even as i write this i cant help but think this is a ridiculous statment).

eeek

Back