Priming with maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
I want to prime with maple syrup, and I was wondering... do I need to use the same type syrup I brewed with (100% pure, preservative-free maple syrup) or can I use the regular syrup that one would use on pancakes? I am assuming the former, but am wondering if anyone has used the run of the mill stuff. I ask because I need 1.25 cups and I already spent a nice $$ brewing with pure maple. Thanks.

veggiess said:
I want to prime with maple syrup, and I was wondering... do I need to use the same type syrup I brewed with (100% pure, preservative-free maple syrup) or can I use the regular syrup that one would use on pancakes? I am assuming the former, but am wondering if anyone has used the run of the mill stuff. I ask because I need 1.25 cups and I already spent a nice $$ brewing with pure maple. Thanks.

Aunt Jemima's isn't real maple syrup, it's corn sugar with flavoring added. I would say No to that stuff and continue with the investment. You've spent a lot to get this far already, don't cheap out and kill the flavor by adding something that will give a funny aftertaste.

veggiess said:

The only syrup one should ever consider putting on their pancakes is maple syrup, anything else besides 100% pure maple syrup would be considered a 2nr rate product, and a cheap imitatition. ;)

If you are concerned about cost at this point, you are much better off forgoing the syrup and using regular corn sugar or DME rather than pancake syrup. As Cheese says, don't screw it up at the end, eother spend the money on the real stuff or just use corn sugar and trust that the beer you've invested in doesn't need anything more for flavor.

glibbidy said:
Flatlanders!:p

Haha!! Like Vermont, Wisconsin folks are partial to Maple Syrup. I have my own supplier in fact! I buy it for 10 bucks a half-gallon direct from a farmer in northern wisconsin. It's amazing to see the slightly different color every year.

Yea, don't Flatlanders have their own state? :mug:

sirsloop said:
A lot of people dont like real maple syrup cause its got too much of a bite to it....

That's because we keep all the good stuff for ourselves and ship the cr*p to you guys ;)

sirsloop said:
A lot of people dont like real maple syrup cause its got too much of a bite to it....

LOL... dont punk me over this. I USED TO MAKE MY OWN MAPLE SYRUP. We tapped the maple trees at our house and boiled it down old school style. :rockin:

glibbidy said:
The only syrup one should ever consider putting on their pancakes is maple syrup, anything else besides 100% pure maple syrup would be considered a 2nr rate product, and a cheap imitatition. ;)
Now who can afford to put real maple syrup on their pancakes? After all, we have to save up to put gas in our cars...

RichBrewer said:
Now who can afford to put real maple syrup on their pancakes? After all, we have to save up to put gas in our cars...

We have so much maple syrup up here that we process it into gasohol and run our cars on it. Our favourite thing to do is drive to the C-Hop (Canadian House of Pancakes) and eat maple pancakes with maple syrup and maple butter. And drink gallons of maple coffee.

The really bad syrup gets exported and marked 'NJ only' :tank:

Ahhh..... gots to love makin fun of those that can't get the real stuff.
I'lll occasionally make a run over the border to VT or NH to get the good stuff if I'm having trouble getting the real stuff locally. Altho I have found some stuff in CT too. The arrmpit (of Mass, RI) has nothing :D sorry.

Don't skimp now. If you have a good grocer you might be able to find some good maple without preservatives.

I was just up at Sugarbush, VT for a wedding and bought a few different half-gallon jugs of "guaranteed locally produced organic" maple syrup. I'm definitely planning to use some on my wife's fabulous oatmeal pancakes (3 cakes and you are *full*...) but I'm saving some for the pumpkin ale I'm going to brew this weekend.

The question is: How much maple syrup should I use for priming? I want to make sure that I get a good maple flavor, but certainly don't want to blow any caps during conditioning.

Guidelines and suggestions anyone?

chimchim5040 said:
I was just up at Sugarbush, VT for a wedding and bought a few different half-gallon jugs of "guaranteed locally produced organic" maple syrup. I'm definitely planning to use some on my wife's fabulous oatmeal pancakes (3 cakes and you are *full*...) but I'm saving some for the pumpkin ale I'm going to brew this weekend.

The question is: How much maple syrup should I use for priming? I want to make sure that I get a good maple flavor, but certainly don't want to blow any caps during conditioning.

Guidelines and suggestions anyone?

I used what Midwest suggests for priming with maple syrup and it turned out great- I believe it was 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 cups for 5 gal. I can look it up or else check out their website: www.midwestsupplies.com. They list it in the catalog.

How is life in Schaumburg these days? I worked for Motorola for 7 years on the corporate campus. Last time I was in the area the city looked like it had grown quite a bit... Is it still sprawling?

Thanks Veggies! I figured I should use roughly the equivalent for corn sugar, but it's good to get some confirmation.

I'm bottling with maple syrup tomorrow; should I prepare that by boiling it with 1 cup of water? Actually, I'm only priming 1 gallon with maple syrup and the rest (3.5 gallons) with priming sugar. Maybe I should boil it with 1/2 cup of water? Any thoughts?

remember with maple syrup, the higher the grade, the less taste and more cost. so get some grade A dark amber or some grade B for more bang for your buck taste-wise. its just more of the impurities that give it the maple taste and also make it darker. Fancy grade barely tastes like maple. gradeA medium is the lightest THIS woodchuck eats.

Back